some advise on laquer ect. please?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Dutch Guy, Nov 29, 2008.

1. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    so, I want to buy a trumpet.
    when I searched the web, I saw several different 'colors' of trumpets: silver, gold, and occasionally even red and blue. I would like to know if it reallly makes a difference while playing. I also noticed that silver is more expensive than gold.

right now I've got a (silver) Yamaha Xeno, and I want to buy a pocket trumpet (jupiter 416 probably) as a second trumpet, just for fun and informal things. it comes in three different colors: silver, gold and black.
    not looking at appearance, does it make a difference while playing what color they are?

thanks

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think between silver and gold there is a difference. (lacquer too)
    It's been a debate for a long time if it makes a difference.
    I think to get the colors, they add coloring to the lacquer. I don't know if it affects the sound , but I don't think so.

On the other hand, I don't believe pocket trumpets play well at all.
    Good for travel or a novelty.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    The colors you saw were silver plate and gold lacquer, not gold plate,that`s why silver cost more than gold, as for ,lacquer can be any color, gold lacquer is the most common color, the other lacquer colors won`t sound any different than the gold.

4. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    but the silver plate does improve sound?

and the pocket trumpet is obviously not for anything formal. just for parties and other things where I don't want to risk damaging my expensive trumpet. and it looks cool.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    At: Schilke Brass Clinic

halfway down the page is a write-up of a study on the effects of different finishes on the sound of a trumpet. The 3 finishes are: raw brass (no finish), silver plate, lacquer. Gold plate, another very expensive option, has the same effect as silver plate. Lacquer is available in clear and colors. The traditional lacquer is clear, which looks gold because the brass, polished first, shows through.
    I suggest you look for a cornet, instead of a pocket trumpet, for those times you don't want to use your trumpet. There are many vintage ones available and they generally play a lot better than any but the most expensive pocket trumpets. The cornets aren't as small,, but are smaller than your trumpet.
    veery

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    It depends on what you call improved , I do feel silver plate does brighten the sound a little more than lacquer,and plating usualy lasts longer.

7. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    Isn't this just because lacquer is usually very thick compared to plating? If you had an instrument with thinner lacquer the tone might just brighten up too. I do not believe the type of material coating the instrument affects the tone as much as how much is there (weight distribution and such).

That being said, my lacquered Bach TR300 has a dull sound compared to my Strad. The bell is the same flare and the leadpipe is supposed to be a little more restrictive on the TR300, though I really don't notice it much (just that I can scream high notes if I pushed is a little more). Anyways, very similar parts and even less bracing around the horn, but it is a dull sound because it is a student instrument and the lacquer is thick. A friend's lacquered bach strad had the same nice projection my silver one had (probably cause the lacquer wasn't as thick as a student model).

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  8. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I actually like my pocket trumpet, they get a lot of second glances, and I think mine has a nice bright sound.
    Mine is normal plain lacquer, but my brother's friend has a silver one that I think looks better.
    Don't get a weird colored one, I don't know how anyone can take you seriously, even for a fool off trumpet.

9. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    That's not true, black with gold slides and trim can be a very striking combination. (Though it does look better on normal trumpets than on a pocket trumpet)

10. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I was thinking about getting a Jupiter 416 black/gold pocket trumpet. I guess it will sound pretty much like the silver one, its cheaper, and looks awsome.