some advise on laquer ect. please?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Dutch Guy, Nov 29, 2008.

1. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Actually, now that I think about it, i did like the black and gold ones--they're tolerable.

I was talking more about the red and green and all those ones.
    Those are just mainly student trumpets to get kids hooked on playing, and later to buy a more expensive horn from their company.
    I don't know any middle or high school band director that would tell a kid to buy a bright green horn as a stepup horn.

2. TrumpEd

TrumpEd Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2008
    Texas
    A few years ago I found a research paper done in Cambridge MA., al la MIT, by an acoustical group that determined brass instruments that are 1) Raw, 2) Silver-Plated, & 3) Gold-Plated produced tones close enough to not have a determinable difference to the human ear. Whereas almost all lacquer plated horns, due to the lacquer's thickness, dampened the sympathetic vibrations (someone will have fun with this!) enough to be noticeable. :play:

Now I'm going to try and find that paper:-(...maybe I can get back & post the link.

3. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    That's the same that schilke said. Seems like this conclusion is unanimous, lacquer is too thick to let the bell ring.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There will be no agreement in this argument regardless what the scientists say.
    There are many types of laquer thickness and qualities. On that pocket trumpet, it makes no difference if it is raw, silver or jet black with racing stripes. It starts to make a difference over $500 and at about $2,500 the difference is significant, but not good or bad - just different. You really need to spend some time with any additional horn that you are thinking about buying. Then YOU can tell us what YOU discovered. My pocket trumpet is clear laquered because red was not available when I bought it. That is my vacation horn.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    If you get red, does that mean that only a moderator can play it?

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Lacquer doesn`t vibrate sliver plate does, pro and student horns use different materials and craftsmanship such as a two- piece bell on student trumpets and looser valve tolerances all affect the tone, projection, and blowing resistance of the student horns.

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I thought te two piece bell was a pro horn thing.

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Most of the top pro horns have a one piece bell where as all student horns are two piece bells.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.

I play on a Monette and it has a two piece bell. I don't think it's classified as a student horn, although in this case there might be a student playing it.

I don't think you can classify a trumpet as student or pro by the bell.
    There are reasons for both ideas. A lot of pro horns have one or two piece bells.

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I said most pro horns have one piece bells, I didn`t say all pro horns, however I did say all student horns have two piece bells .