some advise on laquer ect. please?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Dutch Guy, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Unfortunately, we see many people looking to buy horns that are influenced by the appearance. For example, many want a shiny, silver horn. That's fine, but many cheap companies are now silver-plating their horns to cover up flaws and to make it a more appealing product. I have nothing against silver horns, I play one, but as far as colored lacquer goes..... I just couldn't hold one of those.:cool: But the black and gold always looks pretty slick.

2. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I think I would have to agree Brass Cruasader! I too could not hold a colored trumpet like red or blue. I would feel really silly like I was playing to an audience with my pants aroundmy ankles or something.

I will say this though. I have been woundering why so various coating technologies are not used like Titanium Nitride for instance??? You could make the trumpet look golden and make it almost impervious to scratching, prevent red rot etc..... and have a coating so thin that it would sound like raw brass. I have used vapor depostion to coat a lot of parts for enhanced durability and corrosion resitance in my work. IN fact if this was used on trumpet valves you would be hard pressed to wear them out in 5 lifetimes of playing!

3. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    under normal circumstances I wouldn't play a colored trumpet either, but at parties, in bars ect. it actually is pretty cool to have something that stands out a bit like that.
    about the titanium nitride, I have no Idea why it isn't used. maybe is't to expensive, maybe to complicated, I have no idea, really. but you could use it on a trumpet, and tell us what happened :play: