Somebody please explain "lip slur" to me

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by connmaster, May 13, 2010.

1. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    I've looked, but can't find the answer.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    lipslur is when you change notes without tonguing or pressing another valve. It is merely a move from one note to the next without tonguing. It is a critical part of my teaching concept. All of my beginners start to play them after the 2nd lesson.

If you don't know what they are, your teacher is not doing you any favors and your method book must be pretty weak.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    A lip slur is basically where you shift between two notes in different partials without tonguing the note. Some people refer to lip slurs as only being notes that are fingered the same, but I tend to think of them as moving between any two notes from different partials. For instance, if you play an arpegio up and down and you slur between the pitches, those are lip slurs because you are using your chops to move between the notes as well as the valves.

To give another example of what might be a lip slur exercise without using the valves you could play, without tonguing the notes: (starting on our low C and moving up to 3rd space C)

C(low) - G - C(mid) - G - C(mid) - G - C(low)

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wow. Opinionated lately?

Do we know anything about this guy other than the fact that he wants to know what a lip slur is? What if they don't have either a teacher or a method book?

HSOtrumpet1 likes this.
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I do have an opinion, and often post it - not just lately. Slurs are one of the most basic tools we have (next to long tones) and the term is posted THOUSANDS of times here as important. It is easily googlable.

If they have neither, then there is no problem. If they have either or all, my post stands. Any person teaching trumpet at any level MUST incorporate these exercizes. Any method book worth anything MUST have these exercizes in them. Every player needs to reap the benefits of lipslurs. There simply is no choice.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I don't disagree with the message - the delievery was a bit harsh in tone was all - often misinterpreted here on the intarwebs. :-) That's all I was trying to say.

7. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, guys!

I'd like to point out that working on lip slurs is also a great way to develop lip flexibility.

Start out on the low notes, like bottom of the staff C to mid staff G and back to low C, back and forth, CGCGCGCGCGCGC... Start out slowly, get the notes in tune, with a good tone quality. Make sure that when you change the note, you go right to it, and not bobble around with other spurious notes... just nice clean Cs and Gs.

Extend this to the 2nd valve notes, B and F#, then 1st valve notes Bb and F, etc. down to the 123 valve notes. Get so you make beautiful notes, and can ultimately switch between them at will, with ease.

Then move up a harmonic, and do mid staff G to the middle C and back. Strive for good tone, and accurate note switching, and then speed. 2nd valve, notes, 1st valve notes, etc...

Move up another harmonc, C to top staff E. work as before.

Move up another harmonic E to G. work as before, and continue up the harmonics.

Pretty soon, you're doing lip trills which are wonderful techniques to have in your bag o' tricks for legit as well as other types of playing.

I worked on this stuff for years while in college. I still practice them, rather a long time AFTER college!

Hope that helps!

Guy Clark

8. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    I'll be sure to google the question before I ask another one on this site.

By the way, I only had one session with a trumpet instructor since I played 27 years ago.

Never heard the term lip slur then either.

I'm not trying for pro trumpet player status either. Sheesh!

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Haha! No worries friend! :-) I'm surprised that you never heard the term lip slur. I never had a private instructor in my early years of playing but was well aware of what they were long before I started to get serious about playing the trumpet in middle school.

This is just my opinion, but when it comes to any trumpet related question, whether it be about playing or about equipment, ask away! This is a community, and often times it's easier and better to get the straight dope from someone who knows through experience than to google, get the stock clinical answer, and still not be completely sure of what you've read.

10. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    It's OK. A web forum is a good place if you have some specific questions, but it would be best if you told everyone your background first. Also, don't be bothered by Rowuk. He's just looking out for the TMers here.