Something every kid should read, young and old

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigaggietrumpet, Nov 10, 2004.

1. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    That is EXACTLY what summer break and weekends are for. How do you plan on getting better? Whether it is the trumpet or the sax, you have to practice more than other people and smarter than other people. If not, you're going to be average (or worse).

Do star baseball players not practice between seasons? Don't football players run and lift weights. There are no college scholarships for video games or screwing around. They, do however, give them for music.

Or be mediocre. Not that is not to say you shouldn't have fun. But weekends are long. Giving an hour or two to practice will not ruin the weekend. Giving an hour a day during summer break isn't much either. But both would make you a much better player. I am working three jobs (Music Minister, Brass Store Owner, Part-time Licensed Psychotherapist) and I can usually get an hour or more a day in. I still enjoy life outside of music. I also love to practice -- I love making music!

Shoot for mediocrity and you will probably achieve it! That was part of the message in the article (although not in those words). You cannot be great at everything, but whatever moves your soul and where God has blessed you with talent, you should strive to excel!

2. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Speaking of 'excel', while looking at the 'Mr. Incredible' icon of yours---have you seen 'The Incredibles'? What a soundtrack! There is a horn screaming along up in the third octave that has to be heard to be believed. Rumor has it that the player is Wayne Bergeron. Get the sound track and be inspired........... :D

Bill

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    No kidding. There is a rumor that a drum corps is going to play it this summer, wouldn't that be cool.

Look at the composer's credentials:

http://www.michaelgiacchino.com/

If that was Wayne Bergeron ... wow. They were looking for "Bond" like music and some movement for animation. I believe it was accomplished.

Jim

4. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Oh yeah, it's definitely 'Bond like' and well designed for motion. I'd love to hear a drum corp. play selections from the music---but they'd better have somebody with leather lungs and a set of chops that just won't quit.
    BTW--here's the URL for Waynes' site:

www.waynebergeron.com

Lots of good info and clips to listen too...

Bill