Something I have noticed-what do you think?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Hughes, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Many of us use more than one mouthpiece when we play- whether its for switching between Bb, flugels, pics, C trumpets, or just switching between a Legit and a Lead mouthpiece.

What I've noticed when I am going to definitely be switching back and forth is that it helps me to warm up on the smallest and/or shallowest mouthpiece I will be using that day. For me, the little adjustment tweek between bigger and smaller seems to be alleviated by warming up this way.

Am I completely off base? What do you do?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I grab the horn that I need next. I weeded out considerations like that years ago. We are training fine motor activity - not body building. The Psyche is FAR more dangerous than any type of exercise. Dependencies have never helped me.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I play the horn/mouthpiece combination and lock in to that. I use middle of the road mouthpieces and don't have much problem figuring out what the trumpet needs to sing.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Falling into habits when it comes to warming up can be a problem.

If you do a wide variety of gigs you may discover that people get annoyed with people that take a long time,
    or sometimes, any time to warm up. If you happen to be a person that must do a long, scripted warm up
    every time they gig, then you could risk being one of those annoying people.

I find the older I get the less I need to warm up and I appreciate it when I don't have to listen to
    anyone else play long annoying low notes for 5 minutes before they are ready to perform.

That's just me, maybe in other circles long warmups are OK, but anything over 30 seconds to a minute
    seems pointless.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This isn't the first time I've heard the idea to warm up on your smallest equipment first - a good friend and heck of a player does that, but he tends to play pretty small mouthpieces anyway.

For my part, I tend to be like Greg - I don't need a lot of warm up time, and typically I'll do that short warm up earlier in the day on a day where I have a gig, and then it's just a matter of freshening up for a minute or so, just to get the blood flowing again.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I agree. About a minute to get the lips moving is all I usually do. As far as using various mouthpiece sizes, I do best with similar width cups, and vary the depths for the horn/style I'm playing. On a side note, I have noticed some chop relief after playing the flugel on a song during a big band gig. It seems the really deep cup gives some part(s) of the embouchure a rest.

7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    My first trumpet basically beat the warm-up habit out of me for the same reasons listed here. However, now I do as TrickG. About an hour or so before I leave the house for rehearsal, I will take the Gm scale of Clarke's V and work my way into the two ocatve study. As soon as I can play is softly in one breath I am ready to go; it takes about 20 minutes of gradual relaxed playing. Then when I get to the rehearsal I take about 1 or 2 minutes with a light chromatic between F# and C, maybe some pedal work while waiting until everyone else is ready.

BrotherBACH

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

This is logical. I always make my shallowest piece my "main" one. The biggest concern from switching between mouthpieces is the return to the smaller one after playing the larger m/piece.

A more severe or pronounced example of this is the feeling the player gets who doubles on trombone after he returns to the trumpet. Anyone can play the larger trombone mouthpiece but returning to the smaller trumpet mouthpiece is like wearing six nine shoes when you take a size twelve.

So get used to the smallest piece you can use effectively. Then move deeper and/or larger when the music calls for it.

Another trick is to use a cornet. With a cornet you don't have to go wickedly deep or large to get the better middle and lower register tone. If you were using Schilke pieces you could try something like this:

Trumpet:

A. Schilke 6a4A for scream on trumpet.

B. 12a4A for jazz/commercial lead and some concert band charts needing projection and endurance.

Cornet:

Schilke 13B or 14B for legit and classical work. maybe some jazz soloing.

While there is a significant difference in size shown above the general range is not all that far apart. None are so huge as to set up the extreme sensation problems normally incurred in the chops.