Something i just can't figure out

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garface, Nov 14, 2010.

1. garface

garface New Friend

Mar 7, 2010
    I've been playing for many years as a lead jazz big band player and am very acquainted with trumpet stuff, but i ran into something i just can't figure out.
    Ive been playing on a $2000 getzen 900S eterna classic for about 2 years now. but summer of 2010 i picked up a new used horn for $200 that is in considerably worse shape (the valves are pretty crappy and it's an intermediate level jupiter) than my expensive horn. lately, as in almost always, i have been playing the jupiter, and have been playing to the fullest extent of my skill. but now, when i play my getzen, I get burnt out within half an hour of moderate practice, much easier practice than i would with my other horn, and cannot reach the top area of my range. that's my problem; i perform worse with my better horn, and better with my lower-quality horn.
    can anyone explain what could be the problem?
    thanks in advance.

also, if im performing better with the jupiter, the logical thing is to use it more. the only issue is the valves are super sticky. with many cleanings and oilings and wiping the oil and re oiling, the y still stick. any suggestions? should i get em acid bathed?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I betzen the getzen has a larger bore.

3. garface

garface New Friend

Mar 7, 2010
    it does. its a lot bigger. i thought of that too but it doesnt make sense how much it changes things

4. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    OK. Look at it this way. The difference between mouthpices can be less than 0.5 mm. with respect to any of the important dimensions yet there is only one that is perfect for you. Bore size makes a huge difference. It's not my opinion; it just physics.

DK

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I'm guessing that they are different sized horns.

6. garface

garface New Friend

Mar 7, 2010
    i believe that was just established above...

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    maybe your getting older, getting out of shape --it could happen.

8. garface

garface New Friend

Mar 7, 2010
    for me being in high school (Support Long Beach Poly Jazz!!!!), i seriously doubt it

9. ottoa57

ottoa57 Pianissimo User

Feb 15, 2010
    Macomb, Mi
    I highly suggest you check the GAP of both horns in relationship to your mouthpiece,,,many will balk at this...go to Bob Reeves .com and read his paper and research...it does matter....#2 Send the Jupiter for an ultasonic cleaning and valve alignment....this will make a big difference... a great guy to work with and is a hell of a nice guy..is Ivan Hunter at trumpetsplus.com did I mention h is very reasonable and has a fast turn around... Good luck Otto

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Have you been a lead player for "many years", or are you a high school kid?

I think there are too many variables to be able to tell if there's something wrong with the Getzen. Have a teacher or a good player A/B them and give you an honest opinion. If they feel the same as you then there may be something wrong with the horn.

If not, maybe the mouthpiece horn combo isn't working.

If you like the way you sound on the Jupiter and it plays better thna the Getzen, I'd say have someone fix the valves and make the Jupiter your primary horn...