something in my horn? or just begginner mistakes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by urban1ninja, Jan 25, 2009.

1. urban1ninja

urban1ninja New Friend

Jan 22, 2009
    Maryland
    hey so whenever i play it sounds like im not getting a FULL sound, like there might be something blocking the airflow but it just might also be because im very new to playing trumpet. What do you guys think?

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

New to playing trumpet
    To get the full sound takes practice, and a lot of it, just get used to playing and strive for getting as full a sound as possible at all times

3. urban1ninja

urban1ninja New Friend

Jan 22, 2009
    Maryland
    lol ok i bought my trumpet used so i though it was my horn.

4. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Have another more experinced player or your band teacher check it out. You could have miss alinged valves or something inthe the way of the air collum. I know one guy that found a dead mouse in his Euphonium once so anything is possable. My 7 year old has no problem getting the full sound out of any trumpet his has played from a student model from the 1980's or a student model from 1946. I am not saying he his always in tune but he is never stuffy even with his practice mute in he is not stuff. SO if the trumpet is sounding or feeling stuffy I suspect their is a problem. Most student models are easy to blow most have bore's of .450-.460 and most have some very large leadpipes with moderate taper. So have someone else play it before you assume it is you. In fact the first time my son put a trumpet to his lips he played it at an extremly loud level for quite a long sustained note and that was on a rental trumpet made in China.

edcon1981 likes this.
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What does your teacher say? This is tough for us to guess at as the trumpet can in theory have a problem but experience shows that it takes time to develop a good sound. A good teacher can speed that process up AND keep you from making mistakes that can hurt your development later.

Brass instruments are unique in that the lips actually "create" the tone. Until we have taught our face muscles, ears and brain what patterns are necessary, nothing really works reliably. Hardware is usually never at fault.

Only someone working with you face to face can give you a real response. All of our guesses are of little use.

6. urban1ninja

urban1ninja New Friend

Jan 22, 2009
    Maryland
    Ok thanks for the advice

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Huh? What advice?

What about telling us what your teacher said!

8. urban1ninja

urban1ninja New Friend

Jan 22, 2009
    Maryland
    i dont have a teacher, i cant afford one.

9. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    ^ Join the band at school. Are you taking music class?

Trumpet is not an instrument you want to learn without guidance of some sort.

10. urban1ninja

urban1ninja New Friend

Jan 22, 2009
    Maryland
    prior to this year, my school had no music program what so ever. last year i got a petition started for having a music class and possibly a school band. I got over 30 people's signatures for the petition, so this year the school allows us to take an extra class after school gets out there is an option "music appreciation" class. and so far all we have learned was about classical music (bach, beethoven, mozart) and i think next semester we are learning about neo-classical music. this is our poor excuse of a music class....