something in my horn? or just begginner mistakes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by urban1ninja, Jan 25, 2009.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, Relearning to play the trumpet is an entirely different ball of wax then learning it first time around! A mouth reed instrument is not like a woodwind. many people have taught themselfs to play a flute, recorder, guitar etc all on their own with never a teacher involved. The trumpet though is not an instrument to self teach yourself it will not work. Now if you had played for 8-10 years then stoped then comeing back would be doable but not to just teach oneself from scratch! As much as I am pro do it yourself the esources are not their for this type of goal on the trumpet.

If you seriously love music and want to teach yourself I would seriously recomend something like an Alto Recorder if you are a grown up since that is going to be rather man sized. I like the wooden one's but a one piece plastic one will work too just stay away fromt he cheap dollar store multi-piece plastic ones they are crudely made and seldom play in tune.

I taught myself to play a closed hole flute since fingering is the hardest part well that an breath control.

Just so you understand why I am recommending high end recorder's and such is becasue they generate the base tone for you just by their design their is no need for highly developed lip muscles and cordination of the lips. The hardest part is learning the fingerings for each note, reading music,and learning to count. SInce most recorder music is usualy based off song's with words or lyrics getting the phraseing right is as simple as singing the song. A well made recorder or Irish wooden flute for instance can sound very beautiful and are learnable with out a teeacher. I doubt you will be able to self teach yourself trumpet. Why set yourself up to fail? The best part is that recorder's can easily be packed and can easily be made to do just about anything you want from camp fire sing along's to playing for yourself in the woods etc.... They are not that loud so neigbor's do not complain. If you wanted to play for a girl you could easily play a romantic piece in a park and not disturb anyone else try that with a trumpet! Even played softly if your outside in a park people 300 yards away can probably hear you.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Where are you in Maryland, U1N? Maybe we can find someone to give you a couple of free or really cheap lessons.
    veery

3. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Props on trying to create a music program, though, even if the school didn't take it very far.

Our school has a well established program, with 3 theory classes, 2 levels of band, and 2 levels of chorus, field and street band, and jazz band, just in the high school. Sometimes, I don't realize how lucky we are.
    Keep trying, though, You can only gain things from this. I know of a band that just formed a street (parade) band that goes to competitions with us, and after their first year, they were already better than some bands in the competitions that had been around for years. ;-)

4. urban1ninja

urban1ninja New Friend

Jan 22, 2009
    Maryland
    veery715: i live on the outskirts of baltimore city

willbarber: my school is not in the best of times right now. to make a long story short, they are very low on money, so i dont thing they can spend money on stuff like a music program....

5. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    U1N -

Where abouts outside Bal'more? My sister is a language teacher up that way. I might be able to tap her for ideas on how to work the system for funding (hard as that is right now).

Also - find out what colleges have music programs in the area - maybe you could get someone from the school to do an internship at your school and teach you and your friends - or you could see if you all went together - and hire a college student for group lessons. They may be willing to do it for free as volunteer and still get credit for the volunteer work at their school. Might be after regular classes or on the weekend - but might be enough to get something started.

Also - maybe you could pair up with a school close by that has a program. Maybe talk to the folks that just sponsored the Maryland Trumpet Day - it was held outside Baltimore! Maryland Trumpet Day Bel Air Md. 2008 They might have some ideas or know some people that may be able to help.

You've already shown a lot of leadership in getting the petition and good results in two classes being taught on music history - and that's not a bad start. Don't give up!

Regards,

Bob Good

6. pader

pader New Friend

Jan 24, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    While it MAY be possible to learn to play a horn on your own, It is extremely unlikely that one can succeed. There is just too much missing on every front. You need to learn theory, technique, parts of the horn, how to break it down and put it back together (like valve orientation when putting your valves back in, which could well be your described problem), how to clean it, how to hold it, the differences a mouthpiece can make, what do all the parts of a music score mean, harmonics, etc., etc., etc. We could go on for hours describing all the things that cannot be learned by yourself. Beginning suggestions:

Buy a good beginner's thru advanced book. I still use my Arban Clark and Arban's books that have served me since I was 10 years old. REALLY READ them and study, don't just scan and jam! This is the BEGINNING of the technical stuff you will really have to know.

Hang out at a good, maybe old fashioned, music store and see if you can make friends with a local expert (or old codger) who can give you guidance or put you in touch with someone who can. A friend is truly in need for someone in your position. With whomever and where ever you go in your quest, be full of questions, and remember, that especially for a beginner, there is no such thing as a dumb question.

The road is difficult enough, even for a beginner. I can tell you that even having a band master teaching me when I first started out, he taught me the wrong way to use my tongue when tonguing notes. 45 Years later, I found out that the reason I had always had problems in double and triple tonguing stemmed all the way back to that first teacher. Sure enough, I went back to my old Arban books and lo and behold, the right way was explained and I then began to relearn (with the help of professional playing friends).

There are really no shortcuts. Even Louis Armstrong, starting out in the lowest position in having opportunities, found teachers and worked his highney off learning the basics and then continued to work it off for years and years getting good at it. If you really love this thing called music, and it sounds like you do, sit down and think your way through what you really want to do with it; then think your way through how you can get there. Than get off your duff and GO. But never stop thinking!

Best of luck and if we who maybe have already found our calling can be of help, keep asking and we should respond.

7. urban1ninja

urban1ninja New Friend

Jan 22, 2009
    Maryland
    Rgood: i live by the pimlico racetracks...

pader: tommorrow im gonna go to the library and see if they have any books on trumpet technique.

and just btw: i taught myself bass-guitar and i learned alot of music theory.

8. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I've played a fair amount of bass, and have a considerable knowledge of music theory
    but bringing trumpet playing to a level where you can play the music well enough to truly respect it requires more. There are too many details that you have to work with someone to get a consistent approach

9. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    wow, i can't believe that a school on the outskirts of baltimore has no music program... what grade are you in?

have you resolved your blowing issues? if not blow through the horn without trying to play a note. if there's noticable resistance then there's an obstruction... be it alien or one of the valves rotated incorrectly. if not then you just need to work on producing sound.

10. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    U1N,
    Got to disagree with some of the thread responses here, put on my asbestos suit, here goes. You wanna play trumpet? Then you go on and learn it, go find the basic book any good music store is gonna have a copy. Can't find someone to show you, then go on and try anyhow. You've got something inside you that many starting players don't have or are pushed into from outside influences and that's desire. Quit because no one will show you? Never! Ask any of the ringers on this board if they EVER backed down from a fight with their horns and a musical passage.....bet not, can't happen, not in a trumpet player's psyche. If trumpet playing is in your blood, you'll know soon enough, people don't pick instruments, instruments pick people. If I had been left to the nay sayers, I'd be a clarinet player right now.....or worse, a sax player. ;-) Light the burners boys......:play:

simonstl likes this.