something in my horn? or just begginner mistakes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by urban1ninja, Jan 25, 2009.

1. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    GASP!!! how dare you!!! this is blasphemous!!! you... you crossed in front of the bandwagon!!!

*throws asbestos tiles at ccNochops*

2. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I learned trumpet with minimal help, just my sister who plays horn (who went on to become a music major, but that's another story) and I turned out well. If you can find anyone who at least knows the basics, it's better than nothing. Watch videos, read books, read websites. Something is better than nothing. By watching videos of trumpeters on YouTube, you can learn a lot. I recommend Nick Drozdoff's videos, because he has an account here so you can ask him things, and from his videos, he has a pretty standard embouchure, which would be good to imitate.

And don't worry about money in your school. Our school barely gives us enough money to cover replacements and repairs. Almost our whole marching band program is supported by fundraisers. If you really try, you can make the money easily.

3. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I wont flame anyone. I would say though that seldom are exceptions to the norm the best way to base advice or write policy. Obviously though their are always exceptions to the norms. Prsonely I would not go that wrote but in the end you have to be your Captain of your own ship! So what ever route you take just understand that most of the people on this site give advise withthe hope of seeing someone achive their goals not to dash them or step on them. I know I normal approach each question from a stand point of how can I help this person not how can I stop them from achieveing their dream's. So just know that even those that said things you did not want to hear did so with nothing but love and good will in their hearts! I do hope you reach your goals of makeing music but I could care less if you do it on a trumpet or flute or a recorder I think all that matter's is that you have a love for music and should embrace it and try to grow it! In the end the instrument you use to express your love of music really does not matter in spite of this being a trumpet biased forum! Good Luck and God Bless!! Do keep us up to date every couple of months about how things are going no matter what you decide!

4. urban1ninja

urban1ninja New Friend

Jan 22, 2009
    Maryland
    edcon: im in 11th grade. did i mention i go to a private school?

ccnochops: thanks for the encouragement dude, i really appreciate it

5. urban1ninja

urban1ninja New Friend

Jan 22, 2009
    Maryland
    hehe thanks lovevixen!
    i really do appreciate all this support.
    thank you everyone!

6. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    just my two cents worth ,try watching u-tube
    i think someone here can steer you in the right direction , i learn alot there.

7. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    The high school that I work with has three kids in marching band that are in private school due to the fact that the private school has no music program. They pay the band fee to the school just like everyone else and they are allowed to march, attend band functions and join afternoon lessons... that are paid for by the school. Check the public schools in your area and talk to the band directors, see if you can work something out... if nothing else, make friends with some senior trumpet players at the public schools.

8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Re: blockage

Have a repair tech run a dent ball chaser through the bell section of the horn. I once got a great deal on a Yamaha 6345 that had a pencil stub stuck in the bell crook. It played fine... after the pencilectomy.