Something kind of funny about my son and trumpet's

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Dec 31, 2008.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok so I have this old Getzen 300 fromt he 1970's under the bed. It the trumpet I use to practice takeing apart and puting back together. Well the bell is crumbled, the braces and bent because the leadpipe is twisted so bad the pinky hook is almost parallel tot he ground and the valves where in horrable shape. So I have not gotten new braces for it yet so each time I put it back together I have to assembly it all messed up!!!LOL MY son wanted to know why I think marching band is so dangerious for instruments??? So I said here come here.. I pulled out this trumpet with the crumpled up bell and twisted leadpipe. I have lapped the snot out of the valves with brasso eactly 1000 strokes on the 1st and 3rd and 3000 strokes on the 3rd valve to get them working right. So he says to me Dad can I try playing it???? I said sure let me put the tuneing slide in. I have to apply preesure to the leadpipe so that the tuneing slide will line up and go in with out damageing the inner tubeing of the tuneing slide. So I stroked the valves real fast to make sure they where working and handed it to him. He put in his mouthpiece and played it and I swear just as sure as I am standingher it played perfectly. It did not sound as nice as the Holton of course but it slotted perfectly it was in perfect tone. He did not miss a single note on the thing. It did not have the color and richness of the old Holton but it had perfect intonation despite it's physical condition. I had never tried palying the thing. I was suprised because everyone always talks bad about Getzen 300's I never dreamed on as beat up as that one would play so well.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Maybe you have found the secret to making them play well.

3. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Hmmm... another example of "it's the musician, not the instrument".

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Now you know why manufacturers can get away with so many designs.

I am sure that extended playing would bring the deficits in blow, intonation and projection to light. the Finer the player, the more obvious the difference,

5. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Rowuk he is 10 he was playing scales and christmas song's not Hynedens Works for Trumpet's!!!LOL I was just suprised it played in tune for even the most simple scales. If you say this thing you would know what I mean. I never even attempted to play it I bought it to learn how to work on a trumpet! It is my training dummy like CPR for trumpet's!!LOL I am sure you are right I am sure that Alison Balsom couldnot sound as good as she does on a brand new Getzen 300 let alone a beat up one!LOL