Something to think about?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Branson, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    I have never been a high note player and the best I can be assured of is one note higher than I am expected to play at the time.
    But..

After visiting my physician for a bad case of poison ivy, he gave me a steroid shot to help cure it.

In the past two weeks I have been stuck on F# above High C but this morning I went right up to a double ā€œCā€.

Coincident or not, that is the question.

Has anyone else had the same results after a steroid shot?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Never have had a steroid shot, nor poison ivy.

Where can I get some poison ivy?

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I am alergic to the stuff, poison ivy, that is. I avoid wilderness areas at just about all costs because of it. The last time I had it was about ten years ago and I was put on steroid pills in a declining dose for about ten days. Its true that they will enhance your range and durribility but its only temporary for as long as the drug has its effect. Its not anything that you can enjoy for the long term. I just was elated that my eye swelling went down enough to see the music page. The weeping blisters over half of my body were not a pretty sight either. Long story short...its not worth it for a few extra notes. Just say NO to drugs, man. Best wishes.

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    No, not I; However as a physician, steroids do reduce swelling and inflammation. Maybe, your lips were inflamed and swollen fron excessive pressure when playing. The effects will only be temporary, then, you'll be back to your normal, unless, you learn to use less pressure. OTC Cortaid, would have a similar effect, but should not be used long term due to the fact that steroids are an imunosupressant and can cause a yeast infection to occur.

5. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    As a child I was very allergic to poison ivy. At about 13 - 14 yrs old I was given an allergy shot once a week for a year and a booster shot for the following 3 years. I have not had the smallest reaction to poison ivy since, now
    57 yrs old, and have been exposed numerous times. :D
    Still can't play high notes though. :oops:

6. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Regular practice is the only way!

7. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Most people wouldn't mind being stuck on F# over high C!! As for poison ivy, I seem to have some sort of immunity to it. I have handled it several times unknowingly and never had a reaction to it. Just lucky I guess. No double C's for me.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I can send you some --- there is lots of it around here. ROFL ROFL ROFL
    if you promise to apply to your skin, liberally, then I will send you some!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Oh, I can feel your pain. My sister had a case so bad that it swelled her face up like a chipmunk, and nearly closed her eyes. I've had poison oak and ivy so many times as a kid (West coast), that I'm now immune to it. I have heard that some native American Indians used to feed it to their kids to render them immune from a young age. Not sure how well that worked. :dontknow:

Turtle

10. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Latest up date on steroid shot.

I have received many comments on this and wanted to give you the final update.

The third day after the shot, my range went right back to here it was originally.

Too bad I didn't have a gig those days.

Thanks all for your comments.