Something you never want to do.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by larry huene, Jan 24, 2009.

1. larry huene

larry huene Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2008
    Chicago
    Ever feel like a complete dolt, Last night I was packing up to quit for the day.
    I wiped off my trumpet and put it in the case, the phone rang. After a while
    I hung up, went back to my case, picked it up and started for the door.
    Unfortunately I did not close the latches. Guess what.
    I cried as I picked up my trumpet from the floor.
    What was a spotless, dentless, vintage trumpet is now a little on the ugly side
    but probably fixable.
    Close your case before you answer the phone.
    Thats all I have to say on that.

2. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Ouch. :( What's the damage?

3. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    Ouch!

4. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    oh I was witness to that once. What a scary sight. A colleague of mine put his trumpet in this case but did not zip it closed. He swung it onto his back only to have the case fly open and everything go flying off stage. (It felt like slow motion and there was a split second of silence just before it hit the ground). I hope you didn't receive too much damage.

5. larry huene

Jan 13, 2008
    Chicago
    I caught it half way down but only slowed the fall, I will have to take it in to
    get an estimate.

6. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    ohhhh man, so sorry to hear!

I've actually ALMOST done that before. Except I was talking to someone and I was ready to pick up the case, I quickly looked done and saw it was open!

7. larry huene

Jan 13, 2008
    Chicago
    I think the worst thing is watching happen and knowing what the result will be

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Been there, done that!

Brand new Kanstul 1525, had it for two weeks. Was putting it away and the phone rang. I never interrupt ANYTHING now for the phone! Half a dozen dents including one real nice one at the top of the bell bow. Copper is soft.
    That was two years ago. Zig quoted me per hour repair cost, but it is still as it was after the "accident". It sounds fine and I am too cheap to send it to CA and back from here in east. Maybe I'll find some closer repair person so I only pay for repair and not bazillions for shipping and insurance.
    veery:-(

9. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    back in the 70s a good friend of mine had just bought a new Benge, which he worked his ass off to save for. The next night he played a gig, went to his car, set the horn down, put all the "stuff" he was carrying into the trunk, got in the car and backed over the horn! I mean the bell, from about the 3 valve casing forward, was flat! They were able to reshape the bell, but the seam was broken and it never played right. I'm not sure if he ever had the bell section replaced.

He was in tears man! One of my ugliest memories...

bigitny

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
  10. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Luckily most dents and dings and even a minor wrinkle in a bell do not affect it's sound usualy. In fact some of the ugliest trumpets I have seen played great! If you get a dent on a node or anti-node it will ruin the sound of the trumpet and must be fixed but that so seldom happens that I am confident that while ugly your trumpet will more then likely play fine. Little things like too much solder at a joint or wrong sized tubeing or worn out valves etc... make far more difference then most dents and dings.

The problem with dent's and dings is that they are labor intensive to get out and can also affect the finish dureing burnishing etc..... Sometimes if not major you are better off leaveing them alone. Now if it drasticly changes the diameter of a section of tubeing then that is major and needs to be corrected.

I am lucky that it has never happened to me but it can happen to anyone. It only takes one second of lapse in routine and the damage is done. The other day I was talking while trying to cook and I left a stainless burner cover on after Ihad turned the burner on again I was talking! So now I have a warped and blue colored stainless steel burner cover. If I had not been distracted by talking I never would have done that! Same thing with your case if not for the phone and talking you would never have done that.

One thing I do to prevent this. I never close my case unless I latch it. If I do not latch it I open the top back up so I know it is not latched etc.......In band class when I could not always leave the case open I would leave a piece of sheet music hanging out of the case withthe lid shut so I knew it was not latched. Reason being what type of dork would walk around with sheet music hanging out of his case. SO this served as a visual cue to remind me my case was not latched.