Something you never want to do.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by larry huene, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    :-(:-(:-(:-(:-(

2. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    I was playing a show and had my wireless mic snapped on the horn and the body pack on my side, set my horn on the stand and walked away from it !!! Duhhhhhh LUCKLY the trombone player was right there and caught the horn just before it hit the floor ! Thats the last time THAT Happened !

Hoghorn

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    sounds like a great reason to buy a different type of case or bag.

The brainless engineers could have designed the case so that such things could not happen. You are not the first player to have had this happen. Do a bit of research on other case options, there are very good solutions that offer much more security!!!!! I have a Monette 2 trumpet case and although there is no room for mutes or sheet music, the HORN is fantastically protected. That makes the comprimise worthwhile!

4. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    I use a 3 horn "Pro" brand gig bag, incredible protection and the horns go in from the top. Impossible for this to happen, and lots and lots of room !!

Hoghorn

5. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    I got my trumpet when i started grammar school as a birthday present and i first used it for a concert at the school's carol concert that year in a church. The brass ensemble were standing behind the chior, on a marble floor... you can probably guess what happened!

The choir stood up to practice, i moved the trumpet up to my lips, it slipped out of my hands and in what seemed like an age, crashed to the floor! It majorly bent the bell, the tube that loops off the second valve dented and it lost the metal bit off it and the brace holding the bell in line with the valves shifted outwards so even to today the bell faces left! I was devestated! I was able to play it still and i hid behind the stand while i was playing all through the concert. I eventually had the nerve to tell my parents, they were not pleased, lol.

It was all fixed easily apart from the bell pointing left a bit, lol. I never knew a Trumpet on marble would bounce, lol!

6. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I once had a Priest knock my horn off the top of an organ. Not even the miracles of modern technology every made my horn play the same. Dents do have a factor in how your horn plays, and repairs in certain parts of the horn make huge changes.

I took the opportunity to make several changes in the horn, and might sugest you do the same if you are not happy with the repairs. That way you feel like you got a new horn instead of a fixed up old one.

Good luck!

7. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    I have a case that isn't too amazing overall, but there is a small Velcro flap that goes over the zipper to close it. This thread made me realize what it was for! If you forget to zip it up, the vecro will usually provide a weak hold if you are just carrying your horn a short ways (say, to the car) but I doubt it would hold if you were to do something like sling it over your shoulder. The Torpedo bags also look like they might help a little, since you slide the horn in, and the zipper is around the width rather than along the length of the case. Also fixes the car problem, I presume.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Both my OEM Getzen bag and my newer Galaxy case have one handle on the bag and the other on the lid - if you pick the bag up with the handles (it's almost impossible to do otherwise) you 'automatically' close the bag, even though the zip is still undone. I also make a point of placing my bag down so that the trumpet valve set sits vertically - this closes the bag too and ensures that any undrained moisture pools in the appropriate places. It's all a matter of good habits.

9. urban1ninja

urban1ninja New Friend

Jan 22, 2009
    Maryland
    that sucks! the other day when i was walking over to a friends house with my trumpet to practice with him i was scared that something like that was gonna happen, so instead of carrying the case by the handle i just held it to my chest. mistakes suck!

10. pader

pader New Friend

Jan 24, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Worst one that I personally have seen is when playing in a civic orchestra. An absolute dolt that was old enough to know better, for some reason, during a half time break, laid his trombone on the floor next to him with the bell pointed forward. The first guy up started down the aisle and stepped squarely on top of the thing about 18" behind the bell!!! I really didn't know the guy who owned the horn, but strangely, he never showed up at the orchestra again and I always wondered what happened to him.