Something you never want to do.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by larry huene, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I always wrap a finger over the lip of my cases as I grab the handle just until I know the latches are locked. We're always in a hurry!

2. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Also, take care on the first slides. If there's something on your bell and you blow the horn, the first slide could fly away...

3. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    owie. that's why i prefer cases like pro-tec's pro pak line, less of a chance of the horn freely falling out if you fail to close it properly.

in high school i once witnessed a barry sax fall off the football stadium stands, 50 feet straight down onto gravel because the lyre got hung up on the girls pants. from that day forth i always had my horn in a secured case when not being used.

4. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I've had my Bach in a pro-tek gig bag for years, and always grab both handles when I pick it up so even if it was not zipped it would not open. When I got my new horn it had a standard case and I had visions of picking it up and the horn falling to the ground, so I would zip it up half way even if I just sat it down for a break while practicing. I then ordered a pro-tec iPac case, which holds the horns securily even if the case is open. But I'm still ultra-careful about keeping it zipped!

5. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Put your precious cargo in a gig bag!

A friend of mine tripped, fallen and crushed his expensive, split spanking new bass trombone while it was in a gig bag. If he had of used a hard unfashionable case, his bone would be alive and well today.

6. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    confused... if his trombone died in a gig bag, why would you promote the use of one? or was it just a typo?

7. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I like the gig bags with hard shells, like the pro-tec I have or those Torpedo bags. Still small and light but you could drop it or somebody could trip onto it and no worries at all about the trumpet.

8. Liblip

Liblip New Friend

Mar 29, 2008
    I'm surprised at the level of design prowess with some cases too. As a teen in drum corps through the 60's and 70's I witnessed many horn atrocities- usually associated with horseplay or trying to impress the color guard girls. I will say the old Getzen cases survived tons of punishment in bus holds, it was the kids with the horns outside of the cases that could wreck them.

I'm using a vinyl classic Torpedo bag that protects my main axe beyond the original case. It's snug fit into lots of dense softness would hold the horn despite an open flap. The verticle position in the back-pack style of carry is an added protection, (my dad describes it as like a small golf club bag.) Conn's original and beautiful double case also has a level of deep-seated foam that offers enhanced protection from such, uh... lapses. It's the human condition, we need all the assistance we can find. -Ed

9. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    hey, that torpedo bag... is that only for trumpets, or can you fit a cornet or 3 valve bugle in it? (3 valve bugle = trumpet in g, shorter and fatter than a Bb) i like the looks of them, but really the only two horns that leave my apartment are the cornet and bugle.

10. Liblip

Liblip New Friend

Mar 29, 2008
    Good question, it looks like it can accommodate pretty much anything trumpet or cornet-like. The padding has slots to accept the valve protrusion, but it just might take something with rotary valves too. (The padding is snug but flexible.)

Maybe someone has those experiences here, and here's the manufacturer's site Torpedo Bags
    I love this set up and safely carry my horn, music, mp, lube, mute, and duster witth back-pack convenience. -Ed