Sometimes just a little change...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, Feb 20, 2013.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I was playing the Buescher Duo-Cup 88-E with my Model 217 Lightweight 400. The 88-E is the tightest piece they made, and the Model 217 is a Swirling Vortex of Doom in that it plays really open. Perhaps too open.

I got my Model 228 Lightweight 400 back from restoration about a month ago. The Model 228 is tighter in blow than the Model 217, more like my grandfather's horn that I learned on. But, the 88-E was feeling too constrictive, the sound dull and lifeless, the notes above the staff difficult to speak.

Enter the Buescher 88-D. This was the size included with the horns by default, so there's a buttload of them around, comparatively speaking. I have half a dozen because I was looking for The One that had the same rim as the 88-E. Picked the closest one, polished it up, and played it during rehearsal this morning.

Oh my goodness, how nice that was. :-) SCARY resonant. A nice brilliant tone. Spoke easily above the staff.

Can't wait to play this combination in rehearsal on Sunday!

(Why a Buescher 88-D instead of something else? Because of that sharp bite, I already own some, it amuses me to play the original mouthpiece in the horn, and a host of other factors. Also: FUN! Because if I can't have fun doing this, then there's no point.)

Tom

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Amen. Preach it, brother.