Sometimes you can't win

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by edfitzvb, Dec 20, 2014.

1. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    My church just gave their Christmas concert last weekend. I was prepared for the usual issues wit this director... after all, he is the choral director. I brought a.453 bore Liberty trumpet and played downward into thick carpeting. I played so quietly that I was tentative and still I saw a lot of the palm of his hand. A light dawned when I saw him a backing off a passage... there were 4 violins, a viola, a cello, an upright bass, 2 clarinets and an oboe playing at the time. Next year I will sing and let the church hire a trumpet player instead of dealing with unrealistic expectations. I would have an uncomfortable evening trying to stay under an oboe all night

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've had a similar experience, and was told my volume was good after lowering it so much I was just pretending to play. Pretty funny...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I prep the conductor. He believes that I am right before I even play a note..........

That being said, I had a Bach Christmas Oratorio today where the conductor wanted the trumpets in #9 to play "too" softly. During the break I explained the theology of the three kings and the child in a manger. I got my volume right back. IT is all in the preparation. I also proved another point: the baroque trumpet "sound" does not mask the soprano sound like a picc does. Loud is relative.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Eugen Mayer, who I learned German baroque style from, would tell conductors: "The trumpet is a loud instrument. Bach knew that. If Bach wanted this played softly he would have written it for recorder."

5. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    No one in their right mind writes anything for recorder. It is the musical equivalent of no alcohol beer. A pointless invention.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    That's a tad harsh. I love my recorders. I love the Celtic Songs -
    Acoustic Brew with a Bass Recorder - umm nice thought?

7. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Don't want to highjack the thread but a letter from parent to a Miss Young at our local school a few years ago. True story as I was working there at the time.
    Dear Miss Young,
    Johnny informs me that you have asked him on numerous occasions about the whereabouts of his recorder in an attempt to get him to bring it to school. I would like to inform you that it is not lost. I know exactly where it is. It is on the roof of our house. How do I know? I threw it there.
    Regards
    Johnny's Father

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Well I guess Bach and Vivaldi were out of there minds. With Bachs Brandenburg Concerto #2 we even get to legally waste the recorder with a trumpet! Obviously there are exceptions to the rule.....

9. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    That was before some moron worked out that they could be mass produced in see through plastic.

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hey Tim,
    Are you talking about recorders or trumpets??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYN5CP9xC88

Apologies to the OP - I think we can say this thread has been Hijacked - sorry