Sometimes you can't win

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by edfitzvb, Dec 20, 2014.

1. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    To get back on topic, tell the person in charge that there is a famous piece from the trumpet repertoire entitled The Trumpet Shall Sound As there is none, to my knowledge called the trumpet should pail into insignificance then you should be heard.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well I'm obstinate. I tell them that's as soft as I can play and just wave my hands in frustration.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    A couple of years ago the German magazine "Sonic" conducted a survey and testing of recorders and the results surprised a lot of the participants - that, until you got to a very high level of wooden recorders and performers, there was little difference between the wooden and plastic recorders. The plastic were capable of producing authentic, pleasing tones and articulation, intonation, etc. were just as good, as well.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Most performers of the cornetto have a plastic one for practicing and cold performing venues where lots of moisture causes problems with wood. I can also hardly hear the difference, but I do appreciate Ozboys point - mass production for the masses where the "musical" instruments are reduced to instruments of war - the parents vs the kids about practicing, the kids vs the parents about practicing and the schools vs the family because of practicing. As the recorder is the first instrument for many, the bad experience could be the reason that more kids aren't allowed to take up trumpet.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    It doesn't have to be that way. As a matter of fact, I've never observed it being like that.

In the (German) town where one of my bands is, we started a recorder class for kids in the elementary school. A lot of kids signed up and the parents, as well as school administrators were very supportive. Additionally, in the town I lived in, I privately taught recorder to little kids at home. The parents, again, were quite supportive and the little kids loved their lessons.

6. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    There are many fine plastic recorders. I have yet to find a see through coloured version that could be classed as an instrument.

7. Flugel52

Flugel52 Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2011
    Central Florida
    I've done this, too. One year, the trumpet section arrived at our Christmas program dress rehearsal to find a row of heavy quilts hanging in front of our stands - high enough that we could just see the director above them. After the third time the director told us to back off, I suggested to the other four trumpets that we all play " air trumpet" on the next run- through, which we did. Several bars in, the director cut us off and said, "you guys have got to back off!" Our lead player looked up and said, "We didn't play a note..." After a brief moment of silence, the director told the trombones to cut the volume!!
    Steve

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    .. Instruments of war.... ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Back on topic -- at my church the musical director conducting the choir kept asking me to heavily mute my trumpet, and even then to play as softly as I ever could. This was when I started playing with the choir - and I stood next to the organ which was a little behind the choir.

After that I moved so that I was to one side of the director, was a little in front of the choir and away from the organ, playing towards the congregation and not towards him. My sister in law who had been at the initial service told me afterwards she only heard me playing this second time, and couldn't hear the trumpet when I was behind the choir, muted and too soft.

The director sometimes asks me to tone it down, or mute the hymn, but hardly ever, so I think we've a balance that works. I've also worked on playing soft too, which must be working. (When I use a mute it is because the hymn needs it, and not as a volume-changer alone.)

--bumblebee

10. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Case 1: I played with a church choir for a special performance for which the choir director wanted to enhance the sound of the choir with the sound of a trumpet. During rehearsals he kept having me play softer and softer; he thought I was drowning out the choir. In this particular church the choir was above and behind the main sanctuary, so the sound alone, coming from above could be heard during the service. I was listed in the program, and after the actual performance a married couple in the congregation asked me if I had actually played at all; they told me they thought that they heard a trumpet, but they weren't sure. I told them that the conductor chose that sound level, to which they replied that I should have played louder.

Case 2: I played in a small orchestra for a musical, and the conductor was exasperated that I couldn't play softly enough to suit him, an ongoing difficulty. He cut as many trumpet parts as he could to compensate and came up with a solution for one part of the performance for which a bold trumpet sound was required. Imagine the fanfare for the entrance of the bull in a bullfight played pianissimo with a straight mute. Well, it was a performance of Jacques Brel is Alive and Living in Paris, so in retrospect, bizarre fit the bill.

Conclusion: Conductors with limited experience and knowledge are to be treated with deserved scorn when earned. Avoidance is my recommendation.