Sometimes you can't win

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by edfitzvb, Dec 20, 2014.

1. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Thanks to all for your sympathy and input. My point was, it won't change. I have known the man for several years, and this is my church. Additionally, his son plays trumpet, and I helped him out by finding a real nice Getzen 900 and securing it on eBay. He hears what he hears and that's it. He is a fine choral director and one whale of a piano player. And Rowuk, I told him after the first performance that playing at the volume level he wanted was next to impossible. The other trumpet player shook his head at one passage above the staff that I played at a whisper. I just decided that it was better for my sanity to sing. Besides, the director had already said that he would prefer that I sing and that the church had to spend the extra money for a trumpet player. Problem solved.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I don't know Ed, that depends on how cute the oboe player was.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ed, any possibility of muting the horn with a Soulo mute? It will additional mellow the tone of the horn as well (so you trad off loosing the brightness quality that a brass instrument should add to such an ensemble) but this may play more into the directors favor.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Once again, this goes to some sage advice given by our Brother, Vulgano. Playing soft is not easy, and we should rehearse this playing skill often to get it under our belts. I am using pp and even ppp more often now to try to connect more with an audience to listen closer to what I am playing in a solo. It is a great skill to have, and it was not until Vulgano's words begin to sink in to my thick skull, that I realized the power behind my pp.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've run into this problem most often with drums. They want to have their cake and eat it too - they want the style and energy that real drums bring, but they don't want the volume. A person can play drums quite a bit more softly, but there are certain sounds and tone that you can only get out of the drums if you are fully playing them. Some people know and realize this and they deal the the volume they bring, and others have unrealistic expectations.

I've never really had an issue with trumpet though - if I'm hired to play, there is an expectation that there will be a certain sound and volume. I guess maybe I've just been lucky with it.

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I guess one solution I heard, (Tobylou8, was it you?) to use the Yamaha silent brass and plug it into the sound system. This way the technician, and I use that term with great trepidation, can turn you all the way down to nothing, as desired!
    I don't recommend it, mind you. I don't think the sound is the same at all.

And, I can play soft, Doc. Listen- do you hear me? Ah, huh. That's what I'm talking about right there. Pm if interested how I do it.

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Now this is crazy. Gmonady mentions using the soulo mute, and what comes across the top of the screen but an AD for Soulo mutes. Right?

8. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    You people are way more tolerant than I'd be.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Face it, with most musical stage performances I've heard, it is a hodge podge of mismatched or defective speakers in their audio, moreso when they are portable from stage to stage. It's the same with microphones or pick-ups. You just can't get consistent quality from such. Oh my, even a symphony orchestra has another problem and that is seating their players so they voice with all others with compatible cyphering, whereas I use the terms "voice" and "cyphering" as an organist would. (pipe organist, that is). Yep, speakers and microphones need TLC maintenance, just like our instruments, for best performance. Yep, play a well centered concert A (B on Bb instrument) and a well tuned violin should cypher (resonant) on the A string.

10. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    When I recently went to see Herb Alpert play he did the entire show with a Soul-o mute. +1 on the nice mellow tone (maybe very appropriate for a church setting).