Son's first Band Camp – A pretty bad experience

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Hi guys,

I just need to have a bit of a vent and get some suggestions. My eight-year-old son went to his first school band camp on Monday. He plays trombone. The two-day camp is a ridiculous $300 (twice the price of other school's band camps) which means many folks can't afford for their kids to go. It is an ongoing issue that many parent's and the band director are hoping can be resolved soon. The band committee don't have a problem with it, so nothing changes despite a lot of complaints every year from parents and the band director (I think I'll join the committee next time a position becomes available).

Anyway, trombone lessons, band costs, piano lessons (for my son and daughter), swimming lessons (for my son and daughter), cricket and soccer; not to mention a new trombone earlier this year, meant that $300 was not going to work for us either. But because my son has a heart of gold, practices well, plays well and is a very well-behaved little guy who is very helpful at band and shows promise, the band director was very keen for him to attend for just one of the days, something she said she wouldn't offer to any of the other kids and something my wife and I jumped at, very much wanting our son to go to the camp.

All Monday I kept thinking about the fun he must be having at his first music camp but when I got home I found out that he had spent a good deal of his break time locked in the bathroom crying his eyes out. Kids being kids, a group of boys decided to pick on him because he could only attend one day of the camp. My heart's breaking at the moment because his certainly is. He was crushed. What should have been a great day ended up being a negative experience for him.

Thankfully, he really enjoyed the intensity of the playing, working in a small group of fellow 'bone players and having serious study with the trombone tutor. So all is not lost. Thankfully one of the kids saw it from the 'glass half full' perspective I wish the others did and said how great it was that my son could at least go for one day, which was better than not going at all.

I really want to do something positive for my boy and was thinking of getting him a CD of trombone music. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could get? Jazz or classical, either is fine. Just some good music that will put a smile on his face.

Sorry to be a downer, and sorry for the lengthy post. And thanks in advance for your help.
    Matt.

2. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
  3. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    So far as pricing for band camps... out of curiosity I looked up a band camp that I attended as a young kid to see what their current prices were. It was $200 for a day camper or $495 for resident camper which at a university you slept in the dorms and ate crappy dorm food, but I remember (for the most part) having a great time.

Kids can be immature and usually are so unfortunate your son had a bad experience. I had a case where a high school kid tried to act tough around a lowly junior high (middle school) kid, namely me, but I shrugged it off but was rather annoyed by it.

So far as trombones... this is really a forum more for / around trumpets, but you could always check out amazon.com or just plain google to get additional ideas. I thought it was pretty cool when I did my own search that I came across a cd of "Royal Philharmonic plays the best of Queen" but not a pure trombone there. Checking out YouTube I saw some cool trombone stuff done by Nils Landgren. You might also check out Jimmy Cleveland.

4. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I believe one of the most respected current trombone performer is Joseph Allesi. His page of recordings is choke full of great recordings with various genres.

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    "Absolute Trombone," by Michael Davis.

6. Equiner

Equiner New Friend

Jul 15, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Sorry to hear that band camp was such a disappointment for your son.

I would suggest that you and your son check out Mnozil Brass videos on YouTube. Unbelievable musicians and entertainers.

Keep playing!

K

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

There is a trombone forum (The Trombone Forum - Index)
    I'm sure if you wander around there (or join and ask) they'll have a perfect response.
    From the twisted worldview of a trombonist of course :evil:

8. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
  9. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    You guys rock. Thanks heaps for your thoughts and suggestions.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Matt - see your PMs