Son's first Band Camp – A pretty bad experience

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Apr 5, 2011.

1. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Check out Wycliff Gorden.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey Aussie Matt,

No worries ... not a downer at all, a good story. Your kid's lucky to have a Dad like you. +1 for the Monzil Brass videos. Those guys are brilliant and make me feel like a kid again. Cheers!

Turtle

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You can't do anything about "Kids will be kids" except make sure that your son jumps right back in. He needs to blow the idiots away. That is the only course of action next to quitting!

5. EricMGB1974

EricMGB1974 Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    Elmira, NY
  6. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    As a father I can relate. It is heart breaking to witness your son or daughter being bullied or treated unfairly by other children. It reminds me of a story a friend of mine told me about his son being bullied when they moved to a new school. My friend, who is a big guy, walked up to the kid the next day, grabbed him by the arm and told him: "If you ever lay a hand on my kid again, I'm going to go to the school and if I don't get any satisfaction there, I'm going to your parents, and if I don't get any satisfaction there, I'm coming after YOU!" The next day, the son reported that the bully was now his best friend.

My question is: this was a band camp for very young children it sounds like: where was the supervision? where were the teachers and administrators when this was going on?

sounds like a pretty poorly run band camp to me.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Band camp when I attended was for HS students and was a week long and we put three shows on the field.
    I fail to see what can be accomplished in a camp setting for 8 year-olds that can't be done at the school.

8. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    Really sorry to hear about your sons bad experiences!

Get him to listen to some "Young blood brass band", their song "Brooklyn" is one huge trombone solo. have a listen through some of their stuff :)

Keep playing kid, im sure it will improve!
    Harvey

9. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    how can an 8 year old play a trombone? I think we started at 9 or 10 and even then only the bigger kids could move the slide far enough.

10. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Thanks again everyone.

Bill, I have the same questions.

Veery715, a good point but it is for the whole primary school and intended to give them a couple of days out of regular classes to give them an intensive time of practice with some good tutors brought in for the purpose. Should be a pretty fun thing to do a week before they break for Easter holidays.

Leftmid7, yes, a bit limited for the younger players but songs are chosen appropriately.

I'm looking forward to sitting down with him tonight and watching all the clips you've all posted. Thanks for all your help and advice.
    Matt.