soooo um a little help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Dec 17, 2009.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Well, Governors school auditions are taking place in about a month. Im a junior in high school. Now that thats covered heres my question, I play on a 1.5C LOUD, I get up to about Eb, occasionally an E during the week, but I can get up to an F or so above that pretty regularly on a 3C. Im trying out on the Carnival of Venice by clarke, so I need that F at the end. On my 1.5 I am really flexible and great tone and everything. On my 3C I have ok tone little bit airy but nothing really to concern me, except that my pitches go a bit haywire on it, and my flexibility is the main concern on it, I can play it, but its full of fracs. Now should I switch to my 3C or stay on my 1.5C? If I stay on my 1.5 would it be possible to work up to that F in a month? I dont have to have I know, I know that the rest of the piece is what matters more than that last note, so dont throw that at me, but in your general view what should I do with that F?

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Unless you OWN those notes now, don't try to audition with a piece with those notes!
    Go for a piece that can show technical and musical ability - not just a technical piece. In a month you don't have time to improve your range, you should just concentrate on bringing out the MUSIC of the pieces, not the technical bits

3. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    gotcha

4. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    When I auditioned for the TN governors school, 1999 I think, I played Goedicke - Concert Etude. Not really any high notes in that and I got in, they don't really care if you can play a high F, play everything else well and you will be fine.

5. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    jcstites, whats the audition process like?

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Interesting trade. Airy tone, lots of fracks, pitch and flexibility problems for a chance at a completely unnecessary high F that no one will care about after a piece full of out of tune airy fracks. Hmmm...

7. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Besides, isn't the f at the end of carnival of venice optional? There's an alternate lower ending as well, isn't there? If not, you could make that adjustment yourself, as long as it's tasteful.

8. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    To get back to what's at the heart of the original question -- if you have to make a compromise when deciding on equipment, my opinion is that you should always land on what gives you the best tone, and then continue to work to expand your range on that mouthpiece.

High notes with airy tone and wavering intonation is not worth anything at all, musically. Bragging rights about being able to play high F mean nothing if all the rest of the music sounds poorly.

So if you don't have the option of buying a new mouthpiece which gives you great tone, great intonation and easier high range, then stick with the 1.5.

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If you "...can get up to an F or so above that pretty regularly on a 3C" that means you're not ready to use it in a performance. You need to own it to use it. Combine that with what you've said about the rest of your playing and the decision is pretty clear.

It's been many years since I was in high school, but I have a hard time believing that F above high C is required for any audition piece. Optional parts are there for a reason.

10. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    yeah, ill use my 1.5, but you say the F is optional. On my paper it goes straight up to that F, since it is optional, whats the other option, mine goes from a 1/8th note F in the staff to 32nds to an 1/8th note on top of the staff, then it retards in 32nds to the F above high C, whats the other option to playing that?