soooo um a little help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Dec 17, 2009.

1. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Hold the top-line F as the final note, leaving off that final run up to the F above high C.

2. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    thanks

3. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    You DON'T need a high F to be successful in anything but AMAZING lead trumpet playing.

As my director (trumpeter) puts it "Clarke was a freak."
    Play the Arban version. It's not that high, but still shows technical ability.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Playing something dangerously out of your range shows the jury exactly what they need to know: this player can't even judge their own ability and can't be counted on to prepare properly.

Whatever you play, you need to ace it. Learning new pieces at the limits of ones playing takes MONTHS not WEEKS.

Now go do the right thing.

Goedicke Concert Etude
    Otto Ketting Intrada
    Sounds of the Hudson by Clarke

Or even better, something that you already have at least 85% down.

Boy, I hope that this generation of players is better prepared when they decide to have children..............................

5. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    My experience over the years indicates that it's no different now than it's always been -- people have always asked questions like this, it's just that with this current generation, they can ask them of the whole world, when in the past they could only ask them of their local trumpet teacher or their school band director.

And I personally see no problem with people asking these questions -- that's how we all learn. Not all of us are blessed with living in an area where there is a truly good private music teacher or even a really concerned band director who is willing/able to find answers he/she might not already know. Yet all high school students will be trying to find the right thing to do after they graduate -- for many it's attending college, and they have no other resource than forums like this to get the answers to important questions.

I'm thrilled that people feel it's alright to ask these questions here (remember that the only truly dumb questions are the ones which are never asked) and that they can get some guidance from people with different perspectives and different experiences (both life and trumpet). I realize that nothing will ever really take the place of inter-human interaction in a lesson room, but that is only really helpful when the teacher is a good teacher (regardless of whether he/she is a great trumpet player) who can offer good advice and guidance.

6. Phil

Phil Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2009
    Cookeville
    I did TN governor's school on trumpet in 2007. The audition isn't that difficult where you need to go all out and try to hit a high F; the technical licks are enough in Carnival. They are right saying if you can't own that note right now don't bother trying in the audition. Do they require two prepared pieces? I think I only did half of an etude out of the Voxman collection.
    Make sure you are up on your sight reading and scales; go for perfection in your scale practice-it will save you a lot of time later on.
    Let me know who is teaching trumpet this year; I had Alan Suska who is now a band director at Pope John Paul II High School.
    If it wasn't for GSFTA I wouldn't have Dr. Josh Hauser, professor of trombone at TN Tech and former low brass instructor at GSFTA, and learned about TN Tech where I now study with Dr. Charles Decker.
    Good luck!