Sop Cornet - Daily Routines?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Graham, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi all,

A couple of months back I started playing soprano cornet in my brass band.

So far, my experience has made me feel as if this chair is the most fun I've ever had in any ensemble. So far, so good!

I just wanted to see if there were any other sop players out there, and if so, what you guys do as a daily routine? I'm interested in what approaches people take.

Cheers.
    -Graham

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Welcome to Soppie's World! Yes, it's a great position. Most important is to keep having fun with it (and keep your skills with the Bb cornet alive, because Sop players usually don't last long in a conductor's favour).
    I've always held that for a Sop player (and I've been one for many years!), the best thing to have is an F trumpet, and a fairly hard-to-play one at that. Just practice all your music on that one, and then play it on the Sop.

I've done that with my Bach Strad F - work the stuff until everything is perfect on the F, and then transition to the Sop. You will find everything so easy then that you can concentrate on being a musician.

Have fun!

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I'm a sop player. I don't practice Eb, but I do practice piccolo. I think that helps.