Sophmore Trumpeter in HS in Reading PA needs advise and help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by marsalismyboy930, Jan 31, 2009.

1. marsalismyboy930

marsalismyboy930 New Friend

Jan 31, 2009
    West Lawn, PA
    I am new to this fourm and hope to get help out of it from all you guys! I am currently in my high schools Symphonic and Jazz bands. In Jr. High i was playing truely magnificently, i was lead trumpet,had many solos, and i felt a future in music was something i really wanted to do. However comeing to High School was another world for me. I am last chair in both bands, My practise routine has never been a huge role in my life but i have now come to realize that it is time to buckle down and work for the future i want. Some things i would like help on are information of local jazz combos or groups and also symphonic bands that accept High School students through aduition and such. Another things is private help, my band director, David Cooper(anyone know of him) is an amazing trumpet player that has made a bit of a name for himself around the philadelphia area, however my personality has always been timid and shy, and his precence often intimidates me. He is a wonderful teacher and i know he could help me greatly,so should i just man up and try to reach out for the help? Also i have been fortuneate enough to have a connection to Kevin Kjos, Kutztown Universty's Jazz director, and also a great player,through my jr. high band director, should i try and talk to him about private lessons?is anyone familiar with his teaching and price range?
    i have many more questions so those of you who wish to help id love to be in contact, thanks for visiting and the support!
    Joe

2. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    If you can get private lessons, go for it.

Ever think about joining the Buccaneers? They practice on our Astroturf every year before World championships in Rochester. They're a quality corps.

3. marsalismyboy930

Jan 31, 2009
    West Lawn, PA
    ive thought about it,but it costs alot to be apart of them and also ive never really looked to do marching band anymore,i did it last year but didnt this year..might be a minus to my playing but i dont look to doing it past hs anyway

4. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    You have to come to terms with the intmadation issue and ask for extra help! Second if you can afford private leasson's and their is a teacher available to help you take private lesson's! Most of all practice practice practice. No amount of talent is going to get you where you want to be with out the practice!

You are lucky your band teacher is a guy. My band teacher was a female and her body and face where every bit the equal of Heidi Klum!!! I had a hard time working with her doing arrangeing work and such after school because she litteraly turned me on and the hormones where rageing etc.... Their is no way I could have taken and extra help from here because my brain would not have been able to stay focused! So you have to find a teacher that does not make you feel intimadated or distracted. I would try to figure out why you fill intimadated by your band director??? You should respect him but you should not fear him. talk to him and see if this is something that you can deal with since he is not going to change his personality for you obviously. Sometimes just telling someone this can make you feel more comfortable around them!

Believeit or not if you practice hard enough at something you can often make up for lack of raw talent to a large degree and if you have talent and it sounds like you do then their should be nothing standing in your way other then your work ethic! So get working!!!

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Yes, you absolutely need to man up and go out and get a good competent private teacher. I would suggest contacting a university in the area and find out who the trumpet teacher is. Once you have that information call them and see if you can study with them on a private basis. If they are too busy, then ask about a grad student or a student of theirs that they could recommend.

6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I do not blame you Marching is not for everyone! I loved symphonic and Jazz band but I never wanted to where a wool uniform, sweat badly int he summer and freeze dureing the winter and bang the snout out of my instrument! I can understand why some would love it but it was not for me! If any of my boy's want to march they will be doing so with the lowest grade cheap pawn shop or ebay instrument that money can buy since their is no way I would want them trashing an intermediate to pro-level instrument!!!!

My H.S. in Germany did not have a Marching band so our Symphonic band played from the stands for various games like football for instance. We used to wear blue jeans and t-shirts for football games. We should have worn t-shirts that said something like " No instruments where killed or damaged in the production of this performance!!"LOL

7. marsalismyboy930

Jan 31, 2009
    West Lawn, PA
    ahaha thanks for the help guys ill deff take your advise and contact some colleges around for teachers,but also talk to my band director,he should be a wealth of knowlege all his own anyway so i am very excited to strat taking my playing seriously

8. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    I can definitely sympathize with you there. I was gifted with a lot of natural talent, but now I really regret not honing it to a fine point. The raw talent can only go so far. In my case, it went as far as my Junior year in High School. Private lessons definitely help, but if you don't practice on your own time it really is meaningless to take them. Remember that just because your not as magnificent as you were back in Jr High does not at all mean your a bad player now. Confidence in yourself is half of playing trumpet. The other half is technicals, tone, and all that other great stuff.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If your personality has always been timid and shy, it is time to stretch. You are the only one who thinks that; everyone else is lost in their own personality struggles. Just pretend you are great, swallow that fear, and do what is hardest - put your mouth and face on the line. It doesn't matter if your heart is in your throat and your stomach is churning, sooner or later you are going to have to go for it, so why not now? Walk right up to your director, and say you'd really appreciate a few minutes of his time to talk about your trumpet playing and aspirations for the future. You will be amazed at how well it goes. Your confidence will blossom, and soon your "shy and timid personality" will be a thing of the past and you will grow into a new you who can do anything you put your mind to.
    veery

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    When I was your age I also was very shy. With the help of some very fine teachers including my band director I went on to music school and have been playing professionaly for 40 years. Go for it. Learn from everybody you can find.