Sophmore Trumpeter in HS in Reading PA needs advise and help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by marsalismyboy930, Jan 31, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    i love marching band but i have to agree with you right there, my trumpet, other then the fact that its seen its year being i have had it in my possession since i was five (imagine a five year old with a trumpet too heavy for her) has been through so much from marching band. from the case being thrown around underneath the buses, to all hell being dropped on it during our shows, especially our home show where it was twenty degrees and pouring.....
    but back to the main topic i too am very shy around my band director and just reaching for help in general when it comes to getting help. even last year when still in junior high i couldnt come to myself to ask for help with my playing, eventually during a jazz rehearsal when the high school director came down i finally got the courage to ask for help and ever since even now in high school he has helped me through so much more then just my trumpet playing, so definitely reach out to your band director it will be worth it....i personally wish i did so earlier i am because i hit a plateau in my playing and my band director really helped me....nd i know how u feel i am a freshman

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. marsalismyboy930

marsalismyboy930 New Friend

Jan 31, 2009
    West Lawn, PA
    thnaks for all the help and encouragement guys,and yes i agree my trumpet has been damaged so bad in one year of marching,my bell is messed up,my tuning slides wont budge,and i suspect airleaks although its probably my lips more,and with a car on my mind getting a new horn isnt in the budget yet,butthat dream monette prana 3 for senior year might be able to happen,ahahah

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    for the new trumpet thing thts another thing u should talk to your band director about, my band director is getting me a new bach strad 37 for only 1300...ur director might be able to get you a good pro horn for a lot less then you could get on ur own

4. marsalismyboy930

Jan 31, 2009
    West Lawn, PA
    right now 1300 is stretching my pockets ahaha but thanks for the tip ill deff talk to him about it
    do you go to school around reading?

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    i go to school in jersey so its not too far but definitely talk to your band director, mine for example is still pushing the price down plus in the next two weeks my new trumpet is arriving so we can both test it, so there is an advantage of getting ur trumpet through ur band director

6. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    marsalismyboy930, since you live in Pennsylvania, you are in some luck for this summer. The International Trumpet Guild Conference will be held in Harrisburg (not sure how far away you are) May 26-30 at the Hilton Hotel. Going to this conference will give you a new perspective on trumpet playing, and you will also have the chance to meet the world's greatest players. Most of them are nice guys who only want to help. I STRONGLY recommend you join ITG. It is only $35 a year for a student, and the wealth of knowledge you get is priceless. If you want to be serious about playing, this is one of the steps you must take, along with getting a private teacher and setting up a consistent practice routine. Notice how I italicized consistent. You cannot do 2 hours one day and no time for the next three days. Doing 1/2 hour a day will be much more beneficial in the long run. Have patience, but most of all, have fun! High school band sucks, we all know that. It gets more fun, however, the better you get, and any of the great trumpet players in the world will attest to that.

7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    sorry, double post

8. marsalismyboy930

Jan 31, 2009
    West Lawn, PA
    thank you very much, might i ask for more information on this group you speak of,i am highly interested in attending this confrence

9. marsalismyboy930

Jan 31, 2009
    West Lawn, PA
    and also information on the group itself,is it something that would ad greatly to a college resume for a music school?

10. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    this is great advice ! i tell my children this all the time ,, nice to know others do also.

thanks TM:play: