Sophmore Trumpeter in HS in Reading PA needs advise and help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by marsalismyboy930, Jan 31, 2009.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Go here: International Trumpet Guild Home Page. The President is my former teacher, and he is a great man helping the organization grow to new heights. I don't know how well it will add to college resumes, seeing as how anyone can join if they pay the dues. However, at an audition, the Professor/Committee will want to know how dedicated you are. By being a member of the ITG in high school, you are telling them that you really love the trumpet and are informed about the greater trumpet playing community. This is huge, and they'll surely like that. It won't make up for a bad audition, but it can only augment a good one.

2. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I'd reccommend marching band, though, it's great to be a part of.

You're lucky that you live that close to a corps. The closest one here is in Rochester (not counting the Empire Statesmen). I was thinking of joining the Buccaneers or Bridgemen if I end up in a college near there.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi verry, in my opinion that's the best I've ever read about how to deal with timidness and goal completion. It is amazing how far we can go if we just pretend. Bravo veery!! Bravo!!

4. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Since a lot of marching-band-bashing is going on here, I have to make my own contribution and point out that in eight years of marching band and a season of drum corps, my instrument never suffered damage. I still have my 100B from high school and college and, while it has some dings, the valves work like new and all the dings came from small mishaps on the stage. Unless you tend to run into people a lot or have butterfingers, I don't think your instrument should be in peril any more than in other ensembles. When you put your horn on a bus, it doesn't matter whether that bus is going to a field or a theater-- it might get damaged if loaded improperly. Road gigs are what kill horns, but IMHO they're the raison d'etre for playing.

5. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    You won't hurt your horn if you march properly. And if you march right, you can blame the other person if you crash.

I used my old student horn for one band camp, in 7th grade, and I've used my Strad since then. No harm. Just one ding, and that wasn't even during marching, it was getting my horn out, and my friend hit it on the 2nd valve slide with his trombone.

6. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Bell is a result of carelessness, tuning slides are a result of improper care, and mouthpiece won't get damaged if you keep it in the horn tight.
    Marching won't cause airleaks. Messing up while marching will.

I've marched with everyone from 6th grade rookies to experienced seniors, and no one has ever suffered a mutilated horn. The worst thing that happened was a couple dropped their horn and bent the bell, but there's a simple answer to that--don't drop your horn.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I would just like to add that marching while playing is a great challenge which will improve both your mental and physical fitness. Likely you'll have to memorize the music too. It's a lot going on at one time, and I seriously doubt you'll ever regret it or forget it.
    veery

and thanks, Markie and daniel starz!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  8. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    And everyone knows marchers are the most coordinated out there.

I doubt anyone else could watch the drum major, play (memorized), walk in step, and remember drill.

9. TheNigerian

TheNigerian New Friend

Nov 2, 2008
    Akron

I'm a student of Dr. Kjos'. He's a great teacher. I'm a transfer student from the University of Delaware and within a semester (I'm a Junior now) I could see instant improvement in my playing. He teaches on a basis of hearing. He plays something, you play it back matching him. That's not all of it, but it gives you a basis of what you need to do: use your ears.

I'm not sure that he is available for lessons outside of his studio. He has about 15 students to take care of, three jazz bands and a jazz history class, but if you contact him he may let one of his students (I may be in the mix for that) teach you until he's available. Cost wise? I don't know -- I'm paying tuition.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.