Soprano Cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Mar 26, 2013.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    So, our brass band had the brilliant idea of putting me on soprano. I guess the other guy had enough and wanted his life/wife back. Anyway, if the trumpet is God's instrument I'm pretty sure the Eb is Satan's. Does anyone have good exercises to help. Also, what is the mouthpiece of choice for the English guys? I'm thinking a Bach 3ZZ extra shallow might just do the trick. ;)

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Eb cornet is a bear to play well. Our Eb player uses either a Bach 1 or 1C...:shock:

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    ... what? Is he human?

4. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Good luck on the sop playing.....There is a saying amongst us in the brass band world...He who plays sop has no fear...and are usually the maverick amongst the members of the band.
    Our Sop player had left us about a year ago we were spoilt (a great player) and we have had a time finding a replacement not many cornet players will put their hand up for the spot, alas our rep player has taken the chair a couple months back and some times we are sure he is going to burst a pooffer valve or vain,..............but I must say there is steady improvement and it wont be long until he has it under total control.
    He plays on a 5c Denniswick.
    Take the move as compliment and give it all your got ..........NO FEAR .........

5. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    I don't do alot of Eb playing either as its not my preferred part in the band, but when I do I usually use a Bach 3D or 3E. I also have a 13A4a that works well but can be a tad bright.

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    With my Yamaha Eb cornet I first used the 7D4d which was supplied with. I now prefer the 14E-GP, more comfortable for me, without any loss of range.

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well - good luck to it! Sop always was my favorite position within a Brass Band, and I've played it in six different groups: Musikverein St. Wolfgang, Germany; Drogheda Brass, Band, Ireland; St. George's Brass Band, Dublin, Ireland; Lourdes Brass Band, Drogheda, Ireland; Stedfast Shoes Brass Band, Ireland; Munich Brass Band, Germany.
    Your choice of mouthpiece will in a large way be determined by your instrument. Some sops (the old-style Besson Sovereign with the tuning crook in the bell) like deeper cups; others (like the Schilke or the Yammies) want something like a flat plate, but with a heavy weight behind it, whereas the new model Besson likes an extra light-weight mpc. I've always liked deep mpcs, so I played a Bach 1 1/2 c or even a 1 c on it, before switching to the Stomvi Mouthpiece System. That system (available in all Bach rim sizes) will allow you to pick and choose your stem (trumpet, cornet, flugel or extra light-weight picc/cornet) and your cup (A to F trumpet, and one flugel) while keping the same rim. It's great, and I wouldn't miss it for worlds. F cup and picc shank for the picc; E for the high G Scherzer; D for Sop; C for jazz work on Bb; B or A for classical stuff on the Ganter G7... the only cup I don't use regularly is the flugel - too shallow for me, my Courtois flugel needs a #2FL Denis Wick.
    Main advantage of the Stomvi System: Exact copies of the Bach sizes and rims, and still extreme flexibility; and the screw-on rims don't seize up, like the adjustable Tilz mpc sometimes do.

As I said before - good luck with it!

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My experience with the Eb only covers a few hours, but I did pick up that they really don't like being played like a cornet. An aggressive piccolo approach (light and bright) seems to fit the brass band--sort of a Kamikaze approach....

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I would not go as far as that. Even the sop still has to sing like a cornet, even if it sings very high!

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I agree. Playing a sop with a really shallow mouthpiece and a lot of force will stick out like a sore thumb in a brass band.