Sores in mouth from playing a lot?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NeonMarmot, Aug 6, 2011.

1. NeonMarmot

NeonMarmot New Friend

Sep 25, 2010
    Hello everyone,

I am getting sores inside my lower lip area. Currently I have two, and I have had several others each at separate times and once they heal more come back. I am in music camp, and I'm playing more than usual but nothing too crazy. I don't have a mouthpiece pressure issue, so it's not related to that...

Any ideas on what is causing this? And a solution to this?

I often get sores from acidic foods but I haven't eaten anything acidic in excess lately.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    sores or bruises?

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    you can try packing a thin layer of wax (like the kids with braces use) on your bottom front teeth and see if that smooth things out. This may work if it is pressure or over use.

Also, brush teeth often and rinse with some anti-biotic mouthwash. If it happens often you may want to get a prescription rinse with a stronger medicine in it

You may also just be biting your lower lip when eating and creating a nip they can get tender. I do that now and then in a biscuits and gravy feeding frenzy!

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Sores in your mouth are usually one of two types: herpes type 1 or aphthous ulcers. Herpes sores, sometimes called canker sores or cold sores, usually appear on the outside part of your lips or in your mouth on your hard palate. Aphthous ulcers tend to appear inside your mouth on the soft tissue or on your tongue. They are both painful. They both tend to appear in response to stress (mechanical stress, medical illnesses, emotional stress, etc.). In sensitive people, certain toothpastes or mouthwashes can cause aphthous ulcers.

One treatment for both is an astringent, or drying agent. These will speed recovery. There are some official astringents, like a camphor/phenol lip balm. For herpes cold sores, I tend to prescribe Abreva, which is an over-the-counter topical anti-viral medication. For recurrent herpes outbreaks, your physician can prescribe other treatments.

EDIT: For the OP, it sounds like aphthous ulcers, brought on by the stress of extra playing. Get a camphor/phenol lip balm at any drug store. I hope it helps.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For sores inside the mouth, consider rinsing with a water/yeast solution. It can help to reduce discomfort. Woke up one day as a kid to find a mouth full of aphthous ulcers (where I lived it was considered a canker sore inside the mouth and a cold sore outside) and the doctor advised me to do that. It didn't relieve the discomfort completely, but it sure helped.

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Discomfort (either bruises or sores) can be caused by:
    1. TrpMD described dilligently by exccess playing, cold or stress. In this case, anti-viral seems to be a keyword. All recommendation give above are excellent. Just a quick reminder - get some of these in your trumpet case - usually if these a treated as soon as you get the sore feeling (usually starts by something like an unpleasant tickling) they disappear promptly. That's what Maurice Andre was doing and recommending to all of his students.

2. Lack of vitamin E can cause the mouth mucosa to split up and form small bruises. Get your self nutritional supplements rich in v. E.

7. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    One other preventative that I would give you. Brush your teeth after meals - good dental hygiene is a must for mouth health in brass playing.

8. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Canker sores present as aphtous ulcers inside the mouth, typically lips, gums or tongue and are the result of stress and/or irritation. Fever Blisters are the result of a herpes simplex viral infection and present as small bumps that itch, tingle and/or are painful--they quickly develop into vesicles (blisters) that burst leaving yellow crusts. You don't spell "palate" p*a*l*e*t*t*e. Go to the drug store and buy the generic equivalent of glyOxide--apply as directed. Quick relief of the pain and helps speed healing--rinsing with Listerine equivalent also helps. By the way, I am not a physician, nor do I pretend to be.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    It's that darn spell-checker on my android phone. It automatically changes words it doesn't recognize.;-)

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In addition to the recommendations made by TrumpetMD, if indeed these are recurrent viral attacks or a result of gum flora, one thing you can take to boost the immune response is L-lysine HCl 500 mg by mouth once a day. There is good Evidence-based data on its effectiveness as a prophylactic (preventative not curative) treatment.