Sorry! Another articulation question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Hello Andrew, sorry to bore you with yet another articulation question. But after years of doing it wrong, i determined to get it right.
    Do you single tongue the same syllable right across the your registers or do you change it? I have been told to use the tee tongue in the high,taa in the middle and toh in the bottom register. But i have found that using the "tee" tongue in the high has significantly reduced my single tongue speed.
    Earlier today i read a post by Manny Laureano on this and he tells his students to tongue the same syllable throughout the registers. I had a go at this for 2hours today and found a massive improvement, although increased mpiece pressure (possibly down to it being new to me).
    Is this a standard way of single tonguing? Or should i continue to patiently working using my other teacher's method. Sometimes technique information can be so varied and different that you do not know what to believe.

2. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Andrew I should have mentioned, Manny gets his students to use the "Toh" articulation.

3. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Hi,
    It's an interesting question and honestly not something that I have thought about a whole lot. First of all be sure that you aren't confusing articulation with tounge position. I try to keep my articulation the same through out the registers. However the syllables that I think of when playing do change depending on the register I'm playing in. For instance if I am playing the upper register I try to think of a more eeh syllable. This helps me to keep my tounge a bit higher and gets the air moving faster. When I'm playing in the low register I want a much more open syllable like aah to keep the tounge relaxed and down so that the air can move at a more relaxed pace. Just be sure not to confuse the two ideas. For me they are quite separate.
    I hope that is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions.
    Best,
    Andrew

4. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Firstly, many thanks Andrew for answering my question.
    The main thing that i am trying to achieve is a nice clean, relaxed single tongue in the high register. I have no problems when it comes to slurring in the high register. On my bucket mouthpiece I can play up to about a top F with little pressure, and an A at a push. However as soon as i put a tongue behind it, tongue and throat tension kicks in, causing extra mpc pressure.
    I have come to the conclusion that i am over arching, and tensing my tongue in the high register which is closing my throat. Have you got any ideas, specific exercises or a particular trumpet method that might help to relax and open up my articulated notes in the top register?
    Once again my sincere thanks for your time.

Regards

B.U.M.