"Sorry. I'm breaking in a new pair of lips!"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bochawa!!!, Jan 26, 2014.

1. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I had a front upper central incisor removed several years ago and an implant: this in no way interfered with my playing other than the six months (or thereabouts) time it took from playing. The hardware (crown) is a bit thicker that the original tooth and I might suggest inquiring about options (if any). I may possibly lose the adjacent central incisor so my dentist is working with me to fashion some sort of insert to bridge that gap and enable me to continue to play ,if the need arises. Good luck and don't lose sleep!

p.s. It was no where near "starting over" when I picked the horn up again. My biggest hangups were not physical.........

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So here is my thinking outside of the box question I have for Bochawa. While in the process of making the plastic temporary, could Bochawa bring in his trumpet and give it a play to see how it feels? If not quit right, then making fine adjustments to the temporary until the right feel is achieved? That would be too cool.

3. And3

And3 Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2013
    East Sussex, UK
    That's exactly what could be done.

I always have at least one instrument on a stand in my office. It's a great ice breaker and talking point and gives me something to do during lunch.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh... Is it autoclaved? That's more like thinking inside the box so to speak.

5. And3

And3 Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2013
    East Sussex, UK
    No it's not, just full of my oral flora. We still have germs in the UK, ( just don't tell the Care and Quality Commission).

6. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Gary! Thanks man! This IS a question I am going to ask.

7. magnetman

magnetman New Friend

Nov 3, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well I'm lucky enough to have such a thing, made several years ago for me for some other reason. Never thought they might come in useful to maintain trumpet chops. You have now given me an excuse to keep the rather macabre looking plaster choppers next time the wife wants to throw them out.
    Though I am not wishing the kind of accident on myself that would make me lose my teeth...:shock:

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    While in college my front cap cracked. My trumpet instructor was a god send and told me to go to a certain dentist who had performed work like this before and said I needed to make sure to get a steel back capped because it was more thin.
    Side note, my range in college was great up to an E and then nada ... once I got the steel back cap .. the heavens openned and my range increased.

9. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    Leaving for the dentist office right now to get the last permanent crown attached, then the bridge process begins. Fortunately it is not the front teeth being replaced but all the teeth on both sides and only on top. I have one tooth in the back on both sides to attach the bridge to.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I'm kinda worried about this sort of happening too. losing bone mass in my jaws, so far it's only affected back teeth, but the worry for the fronts is there:dontknow::oops: