"Sorry. I'm breaking in a new pair of lips!"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bochawa!!!, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Hey thanks guys! I played a little over half an hour on Wednesday and will do the same on Friday, and every other day for a while, eventually building up to an almost two hour session. In the mid-90's I did the Double High C in 37 Weeks program. It worked very well for me, but did require a 9 month hiatus from all other playing. After a new bridge in 2004 my playing never really fully recovered. I often said if I ever do the program again I will not give up my big band playing while I'm doing it. So this time I will resume a seat in our band in September while I work through the book until next May.

The first playing was a little shaky, to say the least, after a five month break. The teeth and jaw feel great, but the lips feel like the mouthpiece is an alien entity. It's almost like beginning again. DHC in 37 has a good series of long tone and flexibility exercises (not to mention pedal tones) so I'm expecting my sound and tone to start recovering quickly as the embouchure regains its control.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You're doing it right!

3. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    So I'm five sessions out from completing my third time through DHC in 37 Weeks. Only one more time to go and it's everyday, so it'll go twice as fast. (You go through the book four times in 37 weeks)

Recovery has been a lot more difficult than I hoped. I'm at a stage right now where after the last couple of sessions I could easily take my horn out to the back yard and bury it. Today (to be fair, a day I am supposed to be resting) I couldn't even hit high C (two ledgers) for love or money. Heck, even the A below it took all I could give. These are notes I have never had an issue with. The ebbs have been way lower than the flows have been high. Oh well, I have set one year as my goal to be where I want to be, so I still have 5 more months, though now I'm thinking I may need an extension.

There has been some progress. When I leave our weekly big band rehearsal, and our monthly gig I am tired, but I no longer feel like someone gave me a backhander in the mouth. This feeling stuck around for about twenty-four hours. Last gig, when I did the solo in Summertime our lead bone said he had never heard me sound better across the whole range. Encouraging words which I needed,to be sure!

Tomorrow's session begins at 7:10AM and finishes at 9:00AM after 36 minutes of long tones. Wish me luck!