Soul/Funk tabs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Samba25, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Samba25

Samba25 New Friend

Oct 13, 2012
    Hi, I'm a relatively new player looking for an online resource which will help me learn soul/funk riffs on my trumpet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Man, for funk and soul most of the riffs are relatively short phrases that use the 1, b7 and 5 a lot. I would just get recordings of the stuff you want to learn, find the riff or phrase you want to learn first and just ear it. Repeat it over and over and suss it out note for note until you can play the same speed as the recording. You'll find that as you get the licks down it makes learning the next lick easier, because as I said, those type riffs are usually similar. You'll also get really good at playing in F# as so many funk songs are in concert E because the guitar or bass player came up with the initial riff the song is based upon!

3. Samba25

Samba25 New Friend

Oct 13, 2012
    I appreciate the advice mate thanks a lot.

Like I said I'm a relatively new player and at the minute I'm finding it easier to learn through videos and finger placement diagrams which I can copy. I'd love to be able to play by ear but I'm not quite at that level yet.

Thanks again.

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Learning funk riffs is much simpler than longer melodic lines and is good ear training for beginning players because they are usually repetitive and fairly simple. Don't sell yourself short.

5. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Samba, that's actually how I learned. I was 10 and I would put on one of my mom's Christian rock 8 track tapes (lol) and learn melodies before I even knew notes and scales. I think one of the big mistakes is that people somehow think ear training needs to be done when you get more advanced. I was listening to Bobby McPherin say that if he were teaching a new student on piano, he would show him/her middle C (C4) and make them improvise with the rhythm, just that one note. Then add note after note AS they were learning the mechanics and theory to the instrument.

In my opinion, ear training needs to be developed along with all the other stuff.

And I agree with Ed, don't sell yourself short. Take a phrase and play the first note and stop. Fish around on your trumpet until you find that ONE note, I don't care how long it takes. Do it for every note if you have to. If you are of a level to play a lick if you SEE it, you can play it if you hear it.

Believe it.