soulbody &

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jim miller, Oct 24, 2008.

1. jim miller

jim miller Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2008
    California
    Does anybody know what kind of a horn Arturo Sandoval is playing when he plays Body and Soul? so soft and mellow. Also, why do we always play Body and Soul in 4/5 flats? I have had piano players, when looking over the play list for the job, say, "I'm okay with everything except Body and Soul". Perhaps it's the bridge with so many accidentals. I just jam or play jazz on the bridge, so perhaps I'm not dealing with the problem. Any suggestions?

2. jim miller

Sep 25, 2008
    California
    anybody notice that I dont type well---the title was supposed to be " Body & Soul" jm

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    lead sheets for tunes like Body and soul are always written in the key they were composed. I've found it lays very well on the Bb trumpet but I learned along time ago to be fluent in all 12 keys.

Bob G

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jim,
    each key has its own distinct "signature". Even Bach used these "signatures" to set different types of moods.

5. jim miller

Sep 25, 2008
    California
    I found album notes that say that Aurturo is playing his Flugelhorn on "body & Soul" Quite a guy, the notes also described his asking for asylum, so that he could play in the U>S> this was in 1990---I think he has done well!!!! nonpolitical Jim