Sound 911

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Jun 3, 2006.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I just got my ears flushed out this week. My sound is completely different (to me) now that I had that done. Logically, I know and tell myself over and over that this is my normal sound; that I am accustomed to hearing myself with the equivelant of pencil erasers stuck in my ears. But I had always imagined my sound different. Darker; warmer. This seems really edgy to me. My wife noticed this too. My sound, according to her, is also different over the past little while, too. More brilliant, she says. I have been doing ALOT of work on trying to get more resonance, ring, overtones, present in my sound. I want a more "scratched gold finish" type of sound. Could this be what I am percieving as edge? Is it possible that about 15 or so rows back in the house that my sound is not edgy at all?

This is really frustrating, bizarre, and discomforting to experience. You think of your sound one way, then as it turns out, it's different. Again, I know that logically, it's not changed; heck, even running water sounds different. I even have to hold the phone away from my ear or it's just painfully loud to listen to the person on the other end. But my heart is now saying one thing, and my chops are speaking a different dialect it seems. This disheartening feeling is beginning to creep into my practice as well. I anticipate the edgy sound; so instead of being relaxed and open, I find myself almost pulling back a bit.

Do you ever have to deal with this? How do you, if you do?

2. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Gee, now I have to worry about not only cleaning the horn, but cleaning out my ears! Maybe I could use the trumpet cleaning snake......

Michael McLaughlin

"But the desire of knowledge, like the thirst of riches, increases ever with the acquisition of it." Laurence Stern

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I recommend the REKA kit... you stick one end up a nostril (hopefully your own!) and poke it through until the little, orange foam ball (well soaked in soap) enters the sinus. By now the other end should be out your ear.... one smooth pull and everything should be fine! :woop:

OK... seriously... I've been experimenting with my own tone lately too... a little bit of an adjustment "here", a hint of relaxation "there".... and "bingo"... my trumpet choir mates say "Holy cow.. what did you just DO!?" It is rather amazing what you can accomplish by listening to your SOUND rather than concentrating on "the notes", "the buttons", etc. Some self-recording helps too. The other thing that's been different... now that summer is here (well, almost)... is that I've been able to go back into my garage (unheated) to practice. The garage has a very "live" sound to it to the extent that I can actually fool around with my sound and "hear" the instant results. I dunno for dead certain what exactly is causing the change ... but I like the results!

4. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Did you get this done at the doctor or did you go to one of those health/natural remedy stores and by the ear cones? I heard that those work well. Where you surprised at all the gunk that came out?? I have been contemplating an ear cleaning for about a year now. Did it effect your equalibrium at all? :dontknow:

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Phatmon- I went to the Dr. It only effected my equilibrium when the water got too cold. Apparantly you can use a baking soda mixture. Just be prepared...every sound is incredibly ampilified. Especially those sounds with lots of high frequencies in them (ie water running, toilet flushing..very loud, that is at first).

Toots...thanks for the chuckle. I needed that.

6. tpm100

tpm100 New Friend

Jun 3, 2006
    I've had this done a few times. I always hear my sound as bright for a while until I get used to the "new" sounds coming in my ear. I totally understand what it's like listening to the world around you after this little procedure. Give it a few days and things should get back to normal.

TPM

7. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Geez,

You must love it when car load of teens or early twenty somethings pulls along side you with the windows down and some disgusting lyrical content spewing out of their car at about 150 decibles and bass bumping so loudly that it shakes your windows...... :shock:

I like Ed's idea with the Reka too; don't know if I'll try it but what a mental picture.. :-P

As for the topic I hardly ever like the sound that comes from a horn I'm playing so I can't relate. I will keep all that's been said in mind though.. :think:

8. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Glenn,

Eh, what???
    Yep clearing the wax certainly is a 'revelation'

There's been a couple of very similar topics...one I put up a couple of months ago about perceived sound.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8580

Personally, if somebody told me I had a resonant, brilliant clear tone I'd buy them a beer...even if it was my wife. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Regards,

Trevor

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Sammy the Squirrel in "Over the Hedge".... "Your wife is a beer?"

10. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Toots,