Sound 911

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Glenn,

You know, that's an interesting post... this year I had my ears plugged up for a bit over a week due to a head cold (the show must go on) and it was very disconcerting until I was finally able to get my ears clear. That moment when they finally "snapped open" and I could hear again was like being reborn, I'm not kidding.

It sounds like for you it was a more gradual process, though, so, it's easier to lose track of your true sound because the process of "change" was more insidious.

I tend to believe that your initial impression of your sound after the cleaning process is more truthful even though you weren't pleased with the results. So, go with it and begin to create what you thought you had. A lower vowel will help you with that richer sound you want. An energized airstream with that lower vowel will bring to life what you're looking for.

ML

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Thank you all for your responses.

Manny-
    Lower vowel...do you mean an "oh" or "aw" instead of "ooh"?

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    That's exactly right Glenn, at least, as far as the way I happen to think of it.

ML

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Manny wrote:
    In a different context....When I had mine unplugged, it was 1970.

Just of of school, Interlochen, scholarship to U of M and as cockey as they come. Then my dad introduced me to Chuck Peterson, (Tommy Dorsey, Artie Shaw) who took my horn out of my hands and with my mouthpiece hit a high G at FFFFFFF right in my face, Then he took me to see another Detroiter, Ernie Skuta, (a Woody Herman lead player), and then took me to see Tommy Saunders, one of the best and a world famous Dixieland and jazz cornetist.. And Tommy reminded me of just who my dad was and what he could do with a trumpet. Well, my ears got unplugged real fast, along with my ego.

Best thing that ever happened to me.

A little, (lot) off subject, but the unplugging was too good to pass up.

-cw-