Sound "dampening" for the Home?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hdswriter, Jan 21, 2013.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Turtle Power (Cowabunga Dude!!)

Only if you honor us with your presence!! ROFL

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Nice to see you, TJ;-)

3. whyit

whyit New Friend

Aug 12, 2012
    Corona CA
    I am curious to know why no one is suggesting the yamaha silent brass, or did I just do it? Anyway I hear good things about them, and have plans to buy one.

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Maybe here's the reason ?
    Indeed I use my YSB every morning, and am very happy with it. YSB is the best solution IMHO, but I know some do not like it. However, I remain convinced that my opinion is the best! :D

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The cost ratio of YSB to all construction costs otherwise for a practice space, certainly favors the YSB, and lets face it, there ain't nothing that is better than no obtruction to the sound of a trumpet.

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I may be mistaken but I think we have a double negative situation here.
    Let me think if there's anything better than no obstruction to the sound of a trumpet........hmm.
    I've got it. A brand new Ford Pick up truck with a Dog in the back.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Turtle SAX - oh I really have to get new specs. My mind was in turmoil, and my imagination ...... well?

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Triple negative I'm sure.

Our dog isn't trained well enough to ride in the back of my Silverado, and I don't want her to be (and my wife doesn't want her to be.) Besides that I'd have to take off the hard cover which I don't want to do. Too, I don't like any mute to use with a musical instrument ... not even my YSB.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have used the masster closet ... sort of dead but it does quiet it ... I would turn to it for my range exercises
    I have and do practice in my car ..parked .. lunch time at work ... no one can hear it
    Soft long tones are pretty safe without dampening
    I have discussed this with my wife and neighbors ... honestly they don't mind .. my wife said it's like dealing with 5 screaming kids ( when she was younger) .. so it may be more of an percieved issue. Just throw in an Aebersold track oncce in awhile.
    I also play into walls and my music stand.. or the floor.. walk from room to room away from family members, well it's just my wife so that's easy.

and nice to see a post from Turtle too.

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    What is needed here is a sort of reverse Bose wave system. One that instead of boosting the sound does just the opposite, using baffles and chambers, redirecting the sound in a small space, but not restricting it to the player. Also the sound must be heard ( only to the player ) in as realistic a way as can be. Simply like shouting into a megaphone backwards, the sound comes out smaller than it went in.

That would be a nice idea if anyone ever thought of it. :-?