Sound differences between "Bb" and "C" t

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VINTAGEBRASS, Jul 18, 2005.

1. VINTAGEBRASS

VINTAGEBRASS Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2004
    Branson
    Manny-
    I was recently talking with a friend about various keyed trumpets and mentioned someone I know of pretty much only plays "C" even in his big band. My friend stated that some "C" trumpets were getting big and heavy enough that they no longer played quite like a "C" should. He feels that a "C" should have a lighter sound than a "Bb". On one hand I agree with him, but on the other I feel that by changing the tubing length it should have a differant sound. Where does the truth lie? Also, other than transposition concerns is there any technical reason as to using a "C" rather than a "Bb"?
    Thanks

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    VB,

Typically, there will be a lighter sound to the C trumpet because it is simply that much smaller than the Bb. It will not be as light-sounding as a typical Eb trumpet because it's not THAT small, you follow?

So, it's a question of degrees.

Yes, C trumpets are available in heavier weights than a generation ago but whether that's a bad thing is debatable. It's a question of taste and what your ear hears. I have grown to like the heavier horns with less treble buzz on the periphery of the sound but there are a great number of people who like that, so, it's a question of individual taste, as I say.

The transposition is only as difficult as the amount of practice one wants to put in. However, since big band parts are typically in Bb, one may encounter a problem where the range of the C trumpet is not low enough to play a part written for a Bb trumpet, even in a jazz band.

ML

3. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I used to play a lot of theater shows here locally. These were vol. jobs with no pay but fun non the less. There was a girl who also played a lot of the same shows I did but always played on a C-trumpet while the other part or 2 was played on Bflat horns. When we played in unison it just didn't sound right. The director usually asked her to play a B flat but she refused. old geezer Dave

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, I never understand some people's hesitation to play the Bb once they've learned the C trumpet. It just seems a bit silly. I mean, I play it 95% of the time but I still play it at home every day. There's too much great solo repertoire for the Bb not to play it often. Whatever, I guess.

Having said THAT, I'd love to hear some jazz artists play with small groups on C trumpet. I posted last year about jamming with the jazz trio at the hotel in Vienna where the orchestra stayed. Of course it was the last set each night, I'm not THAT brave. The point being that Chuck Lazarus thought it was cool that I did that with the C. I didn't find it to be any different with the C, conceptually. I'm a total amateur at both!

Do you folks know of any combo trumpeters that use the C?

ML

5. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading that our own NickD mainly uses a C.

Regards,

Trevor

6. NickD

NickD Forte User

Only on legit stuff

I only use a C on legit stuff. I know this sounds goofy, but when I play jazz, I CANT play a C! I get messed up when I read canges.

Sorry for the delayed response, but I am in London on a family vacation right now. I'm sitting in a cyber cafe within site of the Gloucester stop on the tube.

TTFN and Mind the Gap!

;-)

Nick

7. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    To my limited knowledge the only guy I know who uses a C on combo gigs is Dan Tepper, a guy in New Jersey who uses an AJNA with a C2. I believe he does this on blues gigs especially.

In terms of my lowly self, I'm involved more in the rock side of things, but on fusion or ska gigs I'd probably pull out the Bb. On the extroardinarily rare occasion that I'd play trumpet on a metal gig (hasn't happened yet, so don't hold your breath), I'd definately go for the C, and the only time I ever see that happening is if some Spiral Architect or Aghora wannabe band decides to hire a trumpet player.

8. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    See, I told you he would. ;-)

Trevor

9. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    Ya know, I only play small group jazz. I've always thought that if I win the lottery and am able to purchase a Monette 900 Cornet I might get the one in C.

I'm just tired of always having to write out a separate lead sheet for trumpet, or having to transpose one of my pianists many compositions that he writes for trumpet in C (I think he's too lazy to transpose and write a separate copy.)