Sound Issue?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Marcel1998, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Marcel1998

Marcel1998 New Friend

Mar 21, 2012
    Houston
    Hola! I'm completely new to the forums, so bear with me. I'm a seventh grade trumpet player in band and I've recently notice my sound is edgy. At first I thought it was just the mic because I may have been overpowering it with how loud I was, but then I really noticed it when I listened to my Jazz solo. It sounds really obnoxious, and I'm pretty sure the mic was good quality. So I'm assuming it's a problem with me, but what do I do to fix this? I've even used my iPhone 3G mic to record my playing and it sounded pretty much the same as the solo at Jazz fest. Please help me! I really don't like how it sounds :(

Now my next question is probably something I shouldn't be as concerned with, but I was wondering what exactly in the embouchure determines a classical tone or a jazz tone? I'd prefer to have a nice jazz tone, but I should probably have a tone that's flexible for both seeing as how I can't be in Jazz band without a normal band first. Basically, I wanna sound good is really all. Thank you guys for helping out! :D

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Being in 7th means you probably haven't fully developed your embouchure/playing chops enough to have a good quality of sound. There are way too many factors that cannot be fixed or understood over the internet. If you are in the Houston area, I recommend finding someone from a college nearby, like Sam Houston, and get lessons. Only in person can we full assess a player and their abilities.

There is not classical embouchure and jazz embouchure, its just embouchure.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Relax, relax and relax. I think you have keen insight when you noted. "At first I thought it was just the mic because I may have been overpowering it with how loud I was, but then I really noticed it when I listened to my Jazz solo. It sounds really obnoxious..."

I bet you are overblowing by not using air efficiently. Relax and the air will flow. I currently mentor a middle school band and 90% of the time, tonal quality is lost because of tightning up to try to support a note. This does anything BUT support the note.

Here is an excercise: Get a tuner... There are some cool apps on cell phones for this. My favorite, and the one I use for the middle school band has an app that is a red upper arc when playing sharp, a blue lower arc when playing flat, and a gree smiley face when the tone is right on.

Now turn on this app and play the notes that are giving you trouble. Get the smiley face to appear... and the key is doing this NOT with lipping up or down, but by opening up your air flow. Feel what this feels like when the smiley face appears. Do it again... then again... and when you consistently get the smiley face to appear... you are ready for the next note. Do this every night for a month and at the end of that month, you will be good enough to play in our Middle School jazz band...

By the way... Welcome to TM.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Yeah, do what gmonady says. He is great and knows what he is talking about.

Yes, Welcome to TM!! Enjoy your stay!

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Marcel1998! It is impossible to diagnose mostt playing over the internet. An edgy sound can be the result of overblowing, equipment or even the room. The best advice I can give over the web is to listen to a bunch of trumpeters in a wide range of styles, and emulate them.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    AND if you are having any math issues... as they relate to trumpet playing... I can help there as well... Ain't that RIGHT young Cody?

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And that dear Brother del Vulgano is why I gave Marcel the smiley face task. We doctors are sometimes pretty good at diagnosing the common cold over the phone. Marcel, let me know how the smiley face test works out for you.

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Hey, dont be bringing math into this thread. The OP will see it and leave. In fact, this may be worth a thread in the lounge........

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    as was stated..impossible to actually know here..When I was in college I recorded the jazz band and heard little cracks at the beginning of the attacks... so I brought the recording to my instructor (hint) .. he said I was attacking with my tongue to hard and needed to use more air and less tongue...
    and I believe gmonady has a really good point ...some lead players tend to play sharp so they can hear themselves ... so you might check out that as well...while you are looking for a good private instructor.

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    First, what mics are you using? before we try and change your playing we need to look at the equipment. The built in mics for web cams, etc. don't like trumpets. They will make you sound edgy even distorted.