Sound Issue?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Marcel1998, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Marcel1998

Marcel1998 New Friend

Mar 21, 2012
    Houston
    At first I used my iPhone 3G mic, then at the Jazz Fest I used what I think was a Torch mic. (something like that, I don't know recording equipment well DX)

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Marcel,

Welcome to TM :D

I supposing you don't have a teacher since you didn't mention their input. Best advice to get to the truth ASAP is have a pro listen to you. If getting to one or finding one is a hurdle, I'm guessing you are already passionate about the trumpet, email someone you admire and ask about taking a SKYPE lesson. If they can't/won't, ask for a recommendation.

That route will get you to where you want faster than typing on the internet. Of course, if you do wrangle a lesson, then there will ton's of new suff to type about which might be way fun and productive at the same time.

Best of luck!!

3. Marcel1998

Marcel1998 New Friend

Mar 21, 2012
    Houston
    I do have a band director, but not a private teacher. I recently found a mic that's trumpet friendly. Would you guys mind listening to me and tell me what some of my problems may be? I do know a couple of people I could ask for a private lesson. In fact, I'm probably going to be enrolled in some private lessons sometime soon! (I'm excited! :D)

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Marcel,

How nice of you to ask us to listen. TM affords no shortage of listeners. However, you'll wind up with umpteen buckets of advice. And some of it from people, like me, who have no business giving it. Now, one cool thing about a teacher is you listen to one guy or gal's instruction and not the internet trumpet squad.

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    But- PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE don't ask gmonady for spelling help. I will help with that-
    Just messing with the Doc, here, and welcome to TM. Yeah, what gmonady says! Rewax, rewax, rewax.

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    We can listen. gladly.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is NOT the embouchure that makes the sound good, it is not the breathing that makes the sound good, it is not the body use that makes the sound good. Sounding good is the product of getting all of those things working together. Just like the first day you sat on your own bicycle you were not riding down a mountain with rocks and trees in your path, learning the trumpet takes time to develop balance and strength. On the bike, you need muscle strength, endurance, you need a sense of balance and brains and eyes to keep you from kissing a tree or a moving car. On the trumpet you need a feel for the music, you need developed rhythm, you need muscle strength and endurance, you need good ears to report what they hear to the brain and finally, you need a trained brain to turn what the ears hear into modified instructions for breathing, tongue, embouchure and body use. The classical and jazz tone are essentially the same. The difference is the STYLE and GROOVE.

An edgy sound probably has a lot to do with the way that you practice and breathe as well as lack of style. To change that, you need to get lessons from someone playing like you would like to!

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Robin, you must stop telling it like it is. You'll give the site a good reputation!
    RT

9. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I'd suggest to the OP that he do some searching around the forums on 'sound'. This issue seems to come up every couple of weeks or so (usually from a junior or senior high schooler).. I can't go through answering the question again, but you shouldn't have to search long to find a pant load of earlier answers to your questions....

bigtiny

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    AAAAhhhhhhhhhhht. Skwooy wabbit!