sound of trumpet.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pedrotrumpeter, May 9, 2013.

1. Pedrotrumpeter

Pedrotrumpeter New Friend

Feb 29, 2012
    Mexico
    ¨the trumpet needs to sound like an oboe¨ that my teacher says to me the last class, its that true???

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It's a good model, especially if our sound tends to be too spread--it encourages focus.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    If a trumpet truly sounded like an oboe, there would be no need to write for the different instruments.

What did your teacher really mean? In what context did your teacher say this?

4. Pedrotrumpeter

Pedrotrumpeter New Friend

Feb 29, 2012
    Mexico
    well thats the history, we are on class and start to listen libertango with alison balsom. when she starts to play on the record he told me, look! like an oboe, thats the sound we are looking for, like an oboe... the trumpet needs to sound like an oboe...

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Only if you're playing oboe cues...

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Your teacher needs professional help... such a comment is an initial sign of psychosis.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I've used the oboe as a billiard cue.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Truly? Or are you referring to the cue used to play pocket pool. Ain't no pockets on a true billiard table. Otherwise, IMO a symphony oboist has the best tonation in the orchestra.

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Actually, I remember listening to old high fidelity 33rpm records as a kid. Occasionally it was difficult to tell the oboe from the trumpet on certain passages- so I think I get the point your teacher was trying to encourage. Does a trumpet sound like an oboe? No. He/she is probably trying to suggest, as Vulgano Brother indicated, to focus your sound more. The idea is less spread, more rounded sound. More oboe like. Again the teacher may not being using the best terms. But how do you tell someone who has a sound coming out of a trumpet to make it sound different? You can't say make it sound like a trumpet, because the sound you are playing is the trumpet sound.

10. TerryR

TerryR Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2012
    Quakertown PA
    Does that mean that you have to play the trumpet through your nose to give it the nasal sound of an oboe?