sound of trumpet.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pedrotrumpeter, May 9, 2013.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I would argue with that. That would, to me, lead to the concept that an open trumpet is the only way to go even if it is a bad trumpet sound. No more mutes, no more electronics. No more Cootie, Dizzy, Miles, Don Ellis.... No more La Mer, Rite of Spring, no more Arutunian Trumpet Concerto.....

An unmuted trumpet is already going to sound like a trumpet. A skilled player, though, can mimic the "ping" of a triangle, emote like a woodwind, slash like strings....

Something I used to do when getting bored playing the same stupid exercises over and over (that was back in the day before "fun" is what was taught) was as follows: I'd try to emulate the styles of kids I knew. "I'm going to play this like Bobby would, Billy and (yuk-yuk-yuk) Suzie." Later it became Herb Alpert, Maynard and some "legit" guys. Then it moved to oboes, strings, contra-bassons, car horns....

That sort of goofing around taught me tons about color and articulation without codifying it. I have a default sound, sure, but can modify it pretty much as I will. This kind of director's advice "play it like an oboe" is, I think, a great approach to break a player of a one-dimensional sound.

2. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    If my trumpet sounded like an oboe I'd have to kick my own ass. But as others have stated your teacher might want to get a mellow and focused sound from you. No need to argue with them, but make sure you secretly reject the idea each time they say it.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Wow--one of the best descriptions on how not to learn I've ever come across!

As near as I can tell, the suggestion to sound like an oboe wasn't an ultimatum, but rather food for thought, a chance for a student to gain some insight and expand horizons. If we automatically dismiss those opportunities, we do ourselves and our craft a disservice.

4. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I agree with you in the sense any advice is good advice so long as you don't lend too much weight to them. My comment was made mostly in jest as I cannot actually kick my own ass. I just feel that sometimes a band teacher who is concerned with the gander and not the goose might give advice without being able or willing to offer it with any context. Every band teacher I've had has said "it's all about air" and "don't use pressure." Well, those are great STARTS to lessons about breathing and embouchure, but without any explanation they fall flat of helping out. "Sound like an oboe" falls into this same category in my opinion. But maybe I should have said to take the advice with a grain of salt rather than to ignore it. Ignoring is quite literally 55% of ignorance.

To the point, though, other than playing without any "edge" or overly brassy tone and being mindful to produce a warm mellow tone, I have not the faintest idea how my trumpet is to sound like an oboe.

5. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    If you hear the tone you want in your head before you sound the note, your body will naturally adjust to produce that sound. You don't even have to think about any physical change - just hear it, and play. That's generally how you produce different tone colours on the trumpet.

6. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    I think he wanted to say that the trumpet is more than a military instrument, the sound can be smooth, like a cornett, not a cornet but a cornett.
    Listen to classical trumpeters, the sound is delicate.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Duck calls:dontknow:

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    If I may interpret what my good friend Gmonady stated, I believe his intent and meaning was that we are Trumpet players. Others should sound like us, there are Trumpet stops on Organs, aren't there? We are too great to be copying the lesser, more inferior instruments, IMHO. And by no means is he implying that the trumpet cannot have a myriad of sounds and techniques, also far more than our less gifted instrument brethren, deprived of so many of our abilities........notice tongue slightly in cheek?

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    EXACTLY... Like BigDub says... You really know me man!!:thumbsup:

Vulgano Brother... Get your Zen hat on... and hear... I mean... really hear... what I am saying... Do I have a wittiness!? Do I have a wittiness!? Do I have a wittiness!? Oh Lord... Do I have a whttiness!? Yeah Lord!

Don't worry VB... I understand your lack of faith in my commentary... to close to your recent probe with alien forces... Totally understand man... We're good.

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Furthermore, if we are to sound like an oboe, why have them at all. They're more expensive, can only sound like an Oboe, and well, what more need I say, except,
    for example: imagine Bugler's Holiday played by three oboes, then when you pick yourself up from the floor after laughing uncontrollably, get back to your senses.