sound proofing a room ???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Mar 23, 2010.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi I maybe moving to a condo and was wondering if it is possible to sound proof a room so that I can practice my trumpet ........you see Iam a comeback player and I have been playing for a little over a year with a pro. teacher and when I was younger my family wasnt too happy when I practiced now much older I want too master the horn ........ANYONE:play:

2. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    It would be much easier and cheaper to buy a silent brass system. Yamaha makes a good system. There are others that are less expensive. You can use them with ear phones and dial in sound effects.
    -Bobby

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The biggest problem with effective sound proofing is that it deadens your sound ... to you! That is unless you've a very large space which then to do so properly that others can't hear you will cost thousands of dollars, whereas the Yamaha Silent Brass system, personal model, will cost you less than $150. The personal model doesn't have the effects ... that requires the studio model. To lessen the blow problem others complain of, you must use the power on and earphones.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Everybody has a right to play an instrument. Granted, that does not mean one should be obnoxious but don't hold yourself back because of neighbors. Play your horn during reasonable hours but play full sound. Most people have so much going on between 5 and 7.30 pm, they might hardly notice your playing.

On occasions when you run into your neighbors, ask them if they are bothered by it. If they are, then you can offer to use a mute for part of your practice time. If they have a baby napping during your practice, they should come knock on your door to ask you to tune it down. Some have done that with me and I was always pleased to oblige. We developed a good working relationship as neighbors. I'm sure they liked the playing from time to time. Correction: I hope they liked the playing...:oops:

Try to find a wide space somewhere where you can practice. The best sound I ever experienced was in an airplane hangar back in my days as a flight instructor. Nobody there to complain. Shops, warehouses, churches, any place like that you could have access to would be better than an apartment.

I would definitely not want to practice in a soundproof room. They sound weird!:thumbdown:
    My teacher has made it a chief recommendation to practice in big spaces because the sound feedback they produce is conducive to good sound development. After experimenting in my place (I live in apartment too, with carpet) and a friend's house (high ceiling, hard floor), I was amazed to see how much difference it makes. If anything, I believe you might be better off with a silent brass.

5. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I practice everyday at work on lunchbreak out in the woods. Drives the squirrels nuts (no pun intended), keeps me on my diet, and lets me gain practice time so I don't spend so much at home....chuck

6. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

7. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    try a bach pratice mute:play:

8. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    I'm also doing the lunchtime practice thing. I drive to a local park and practice sitting in my car in the parking lot. I haven't gotten any complaints yet. ROFL

9. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Acoustic damping foam works well. You won't have any reverberation, but you'll get used to that quickly enough. Don't even think about using regular foam for a second- it's very flammable and dangerous (think The Station nightclub fire in Rhode Island).

Practice mutes, IMHO, are for occasional use in a hotel;-)

10. borge705

borge705 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2008
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
    Playing into the hanging clothes in your wardrobe is quite effective, especially a walk-in wardrobe.