sound proofing a room ???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Mar 23, 2010.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    As a kid, I was big into practicing -sometimes 4+ hours a day/night. My father had a large attic room constructed, completely wrapped in insulation. there were stairs leading to it -doors at each end. The one window was double pane with a storm window about 3 inches out. While not 100% sound proof, I never got a complaint. Family enjoyed TV in other rooms and sisters had their friends over without any problem.

2. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    My family likes to put me in the closet........But, I too have the silent brass system. Works great!

3. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    My 2 cents,

Acoustic foam dampens reflections in a room, it does little to stop sound traveling through the walls, it is not good for sound proofing. (for sound proofing use dense material like rock wool, but unless you know what you are doing it can be a waste of money. For good sound proofing you need to think air tight and floating rooms.) The silent brass changes the way the horn responds using it for most of my practice for a few years messed up my breathing and playing. I gave mine away vowing never to use it again. I'm sure for warm ups and the occasional late night session it would be good.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Effective soundproofing of a room is dependent on the frequencies and the intensity that needs to be stopped.
    In the case of a trumpet, heavy damping is not required as is proven by most of the glass practice cells found at music schools. More important is double or triple walls/floor/ceiling that are acoustically isolated from one another. This is not so easy (cheap) to achieve in a normal apartment or home.

Sound is transmitted over many ways. The mute idea offers help where it is cheapest. I was in the US on a business trip for 12 days during the last 3 weeks and practiced about 2 hours a day with my silent brass and pocket trumpet. I got off the plane last Thursday, had a rehearsal and 2 concerts with no issues.

If you still want to research this some more, here is a good start:
    How to Build a Sound Proof Room - wikiHow

If you own your home, the cellar is a great place to start such a project because only the ceiling and inside walls need treatment.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    There's a TV show on HGTV called "Holmes on Homes" and another doing reno for basement apartment that packs in between the studs, joists, and rafters fire retardant batts as are also sound reductive, vis neither fire nor sound travel readily from one area to another. The expanding fire retardant and sound reductive foam as is much more expensive is for only those small areas where the batts cannot easily be used. Now by the time you rip out the walls, ceiling and floors to do all this work, and then replace and refiniish all you've ripped out on a 15'x18' room, I hope you've a budget of give or take $50,000 USD. Too, if older property you may be required to upgrade all plumbing, electrical, gas / propane lines, and HVAC that has been exposed to current building code that adds still more expense. Worse, in addition to local government permits and inspection you'll need the approval of the condo management to do such renovation. The durndest thing is you'll also have to pay for lines, pipes, etc. that supply your neighbors if they aren't up to code and may even be required to pay their off site living expenses while the work is being done ... more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Some suggest closets ... well that is worse if they are adjacent to your neighbor and not much better than a telephone booth size, likewise bathrooms, and oh does sound travel along plumbing and HVAC chases. Crown Royal bags only stiffle your blow and reduce sound transmission about 12%. Yeah, a concrete base aircraft hanger would suit me, but in high school I and my bandmates had the choice of three great practice areas: 1. a closed movie theatre owned by my family doctor, 2. An abandoned ice house ... until they demolished it owned by a neighbor, and 3. the best of them all, the Andrew Carnegie Free Library auditorium in Carnegie PA, a half size version of Carnegie Hall in NYC with acoustics about equal. This latter is where the community and the public schools held all their stage events. My family lived across the street until moving to the street below and then just 6 blocks away. Our high school then sided to the street below also.

Yeah, I now use the Yamaha Silent Brass system for all my horns except tuba and piccolo trumpet, but then only when my wife is at home.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  6. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    thanks guys Anthony:play:

7. borge705

borge705 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2008
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
    We built 2 new studio control rooms at my work about 4 years ago. We specified -60dB separation to the "outside world" but made the mistake of giving the job to a construction company armed only with info researched from the internet. We now have 6 layers of ceiling above the rooms. Dampening sound is relatively easy. Stopping it from penetrating walls and getting through the ceiling and floor is more complicated and much more expensive.

8. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hello Rowuk ,you used the silent brass and had no problems I was told by my teacher that using silent mutes NOT silent brass could mess up your chops ? Is there a difference ? I was asking him about ' renuzit mute' and he told me to use it only if their is nothing else or for practicing late at night ,he said it is best to play open .....but sometimes I can not ,Thank you for you help,Anthony

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    IMO Practice mutes (silent brass, denis wick, renuzit) etc are only good for practice in low dynamics. They can't replace open trumpet practice for many reasons some of which are different resistance and different sound. They can be helpful for a limited time, but permanent solution would be to find a way and place to play open.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While I've occasional use of the Yamaha Silent Brass System and in those moments believe it is the best of the so called practice mutes, I concur with those that advocate playing without a mute of any kind whenever possible. I was talking about this at breakfast this morning with the instrumental music teacher in the county and was overheard by the owner of a self storage facility at the next table and he said he let several high school students use any empty units free ... including his son who plays drums. I thought this was great as these are usually found in very isolated areas where the "noise" would not be objectionable. The downside side of this is no HVAC. The teacher and I were also invited. Here, his facility is open 8 AM to 8 PM except Sundays, Christmas and New Years days and the drives are under photo surveillance. Such may be available to some of you and while I'll admit it isn't great ... it is doable ... even if a small fee is charged.