Sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by R.T. Swing, Mar 19, 2011.

1. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    I don't want to sound like, Maynard or Rex or Maurice or Wynton or Miles or Trumpetsizzle or whoever as then I could only ever be a bad copy or maybe even a good copy. I want to sound like me, so far so I'm doing alright. This is not a judgment of any sort, merely an observation.

2. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    I sound like me too, but I'm working on it:roll:
    Chet Atkins once said he knew he had his signature sound when his mother recognized it was him on the radio.
    Play it like You play it!
    Bobby

3. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    +1 to both statements made. Why be a cookie-cutter trumpet player when you can be unique!

Kujo

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    You may have elements of the above (save one, perhaps) but you will sound like you, no matter what equipment or approach you take.

Once we find our "voice" we just need to find something worthy to say, in-tune and on time. That provides both the challenge and the fun!

5. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Trumpetsizzle is in the company of Maynard or Rex or Maurice or Wynton or Miles? :dontknow:

6. Darkflugel20

Darkflugel20 New Friend

Jan 10, 2011
    I agree 100% Kujo!
    I also agree with VB...we can have elements of those well known players, but we can still have our own voice too!
    I like this thread...

7. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    I have a few sounds..... for different occasions but one main sound :)

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think the issue of sound is often very misunderstood. I get the impression that some players think that there is an "optimum" balance of frequencies that makes a "good" sound. I will have to disagree. What becomes recognizable as OUR sound is actually more of an issue of style and musical competence than tone color.

Most symphony players playing C trumpets have absolutely speaking, "bright" sounds. We associate something quite different with their playing however. I believe that this is due to the elegance of their playing. Other players with heavy trumpets and thick dark sound often only sound obnoxious because of the lack of elegance.

When we understand music, we start to "place" notes instead of just making sound/noise. We start to phrase and dynamically shape the musical line. The greater the elegance, the less critical the frequency balance. In many cases a dark sound is harder to hear and requires an out of balance volume to become noticable.

9. R.T. Swing

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Yes it must always be about the music, elegance (thank you Rowuk), sophistication, style, good manners, no BS, and a deep understanding of the back of the shed, all part of the SOUND. I couldn't care less about light or dark or frequencies.

10. R.T. Swing

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Vulgano, I'm not so keen on being on-time, I like to be In-time.:roll: