Sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by R.T. Swing, Mar 19, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I sound like me -- and hopefully someday everyone will want to copy me -- then what do I tell them?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree that it is too keen when using time toward contributing to voice. When improvising solos during gigs or even in writing tunes, I love generating a 6/8 feel while the rhythm section is playing in 4/4; or visa versa. Not all the time, but interjected here or there, just to accent lines or emphasize a run.

Charles Mingus used this concept often. Girl of My Dreams, as an example of the sax solo running swing 4s during the 3/4 section and during the 6/8 improvisation section that is being laid down by the rhythm section (bass and drums). Real check it out. If you have not heard it before it will totally blow you away. Study it, practice it, use it.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It's me quoting me. I am trying to upload an mp3 file with Gilr of My Dreams on it. Hopefully when I press the submit reply, it will provide you with the link.

Oops uploading the link did not work. Sorry

4. TRUMPETSIZZLE

TRUMPETSIZZLE New Friend

Nov 21, 2010
    It is almost next to impossible to "sound" like Maynard, Maurice,Doc, Bill Chase, Armando G, or any other unusually fantastic player.

However, as you listen to Maurice play a sweet Largo Movement or Maynard play Danny Boy, you can appreciate the good qualities in each of their sounds.

When you have maximized your range, technique, tone, style, phrasing, and other issues, and you arrive at the feeling of effortless playing, that sound will be "YOURS".
    Straining for high notes, heavy multple tonguing, bad phrasing, airy tone ( unless you are going for that ), bad intonation all lead to someone's unpleasant tone not really being permanent, but temporary until they master the trumpet.

However, it is better to have some type of sound to show than just the sound of pitter patter from a laptop......if you get my meaning.

5. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Why are you like this? Do you HAVE to always be on the attack or something?

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Not any more.

7. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Well looking at this forum I certainly have less pitter patter on a lap top than others:evil:and plenty of sound.

8. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    The best comment made about Chet Atkins was made in a club one time when Chet played and a customer approached him to tell him how well he played. Then the patron said, “you’re good, but you’re no Chet Atkins”.

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

lol!!!!!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And I too thank you. The professionalism of the TM moderators is unsurpassed. This is one one of the main reasons why I keep coming back.