Sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Dec 30, 2011.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Last year I made a huge change in the style of trumpet I play. I went from a Bach with a 25 reversed leadpipe and 25bell .459 bore to a Marcinkiewicz CG470 .470 bore horn. The CG470 has a sound that to me is much smoother and transparent than the Bach. That is the best description I can give. I love the CG470. It is the best quality and easiest playing horn I have ever laid hands on , but I would like to have a little more character in the sound I am producing. The Bach has more of the sound I like but is very difficult for me to play above the staff and is still waiting for repairs from a pretty bad accident as well. I suppose it is possible that the CG470 just sounds different from behind the bell but I have listened to recordings of me playing both horns using the same mouthpiece. They sound different. The problem is that the recordings are in different venues using different low quality recording equipment through different sound systems. .

What other factors can give your sound more character or core? Can certain mouthpieces achieve this more than others? Is there something I can practice to better produce the old sound in my head?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  2. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm far from an expert ... but my first reaction would be IF you are using the Megatone 3C try a regular 3C and see how that feels/ sounds. I know they're supposed to be "better" but my experience with Megatone has just been deadening the sound. Just my experience... but certainly worth a shot!

Good Luck!

3. lemonzown

lemonzown New Friend

Dec 3, 2011
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    so you're waiting to get it fixed from a major repair right? if you had the bell repaired at all, that might be a good thing. I know some players who have said that their horns sounded and played better after the bell got ruined and then fixed up. I have no idea why, but that's what they said.

as for the core issue, i would highly recommend a monette mouthpiece. yeah i know, they're expensive and everyone uses them etc etc-- but when i switched from my warburton to my monette i noticed a bigger, more solid core in the sound, more energy to the sound, and a fatter, bigger sound. just because i say all this doesnt mean it's right for you, though. every player is different. i would recommend trying one out first at a dealer.

4. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Thanks. To clarify, The CG470 is in perfect condition with no damages. The Bach needs valve work and dents fixed in the bell.I pretty much stopped playing it after the accident. I would like to try out a Monette mouthpiece before forking out the cash. A while I did speak to someone at Monette about what they would suggest I try in their line up. I don't even remember the suggestion. Again, I want to try it before buying it. There are no Monette dealers close to Charlotte that I know of.

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I have a standard 3C. I don't like the feel. It is probably due more to the larger throat on the Megatone as opposed to the extra weight. I am not sure the extra mass of the Megatone does very much. I have ordered a Marcinkiewicz E3/3C FROM Sam Ash. I have noticed the shanks on the Marcinkiewicz are longer and tapered differently than the Bach . Maybe it will fit in the receiver better with a better gap and improve things.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I noticed something very slight last night when I was oiling and "playing" all of my horns ----first I have a preference to my "favorite" horns -- in which if I clam a note --- I just give it another try ---- where my prejudice is against a certain horn that doesn't slot just right for me --when I clam a note, that is an excuse to put her aways. I noticed this same thing with the Weight of the horn --- I am used to my Heavy Silver Flair - and I tend to hold the "lighter horns" a bit different, and that contributes to some variances in sound also, for that particular horn.
    a long post just to ask if you are actually holding the Markiesweszc a little differently???

7. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC

I don't think so. As far as clams go. I would say that I have far fewer clams with the CG470 than with the Bach. It is much easier to play. The sound is just a little different, or so I think. When the wife gets up I am going to play a few notes on each while recording to see if there is a difference coing out out of the front of the horn.

8. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    In my experience, the horn, mouthpiece, and player combine to form a system (pretty Zen, huh?). Sometimes, for me, a mouthpiece that I love on one horn makes another dead. That's why it would be best if you can find a store that has a bunch of possibilities and try them out. We can all tell you what we like and dislike, but we're not you.

-John

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Discovering the vintage Martin Committee... It has transformed my jazz core to a whole 'nother level!

Yes, but it depends on the horn. My Olds Recording sings with the Schilke and produces the best and most lively brass sound of ALL my equipment. But with the Callett, Bach, Jettone, Olds, Martin... not so much. The Schilke does OK with the Martin Committee, but the Olds (go figure) makes the Committee cry! It depends on the sound you are looking for in the equipment you use.

Yes, anything, and this is important as it means you have found consistency.

10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    OK. Thanks for all that have weighed in. I recorded both horns using the same mouthpiece playing the same tune using my MP3 player.

The Bach definitely has a sound with more ring to it. The sound is not as big but the ring sounds better to my ear from behind the bell.

The CG470 has less of a ring but makes a much larger sound. When listening to the recordings I am happier with the CG470. The sound it makes is much larger than the Bach. I am thinking that playing around with mouthpieces may help me get more of ring out of the CG470. I have noticed that Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces have a longer shank with a different taper than the Bach. The Bach piece fits about 1/8 inch deeper into the receiver of the CG470 than it does the Bach. That may be messing up the correct gap. As I said before I have a Marcinkiewicz E3/3C on order. I am hoping less mass in the mouthpiece coupled with a taper that matches the receiver of the CG470 will be a better fit.