Sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamboman, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Hey people.

Been trying to get a really good kid range sound, that also leads Into the upper register. I want it to try to be strong. I'm not really sure how to get it.

I appreciate any help, thanks.

2. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Whoops, sorry. Not "kid range sound. I meant mid range sound

3. dsr0057

dsr0057 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Find some chicowitz Ait Flow Studies and practice.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow, good that you quailified that 'cause I was going to recommend hormones!

I know, I know... some of you kids out there would get the idea as to "How do I make hormones?" Well the best anwer is - Don't pay them.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No seriously: There is this place out back called the Wood Shed. When the lips start hurting OR you loose control on the highest note you can play, then stop. Now how you get to the highest note, well you will get recommendations that follow, and any one of them will be as good as the other if that method works for you. However, good air support from below and relaxing is key. So take that key, unlock the shed and have at it.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and along with good breath support -- I would highly recommend -- soft long tones in that mid range!!!!!!!! practice, more practice, some rest in between, and oh my favorite part (that which we are all running out of) TIME --- it takes time, good mid range won't happen overnight, but with soft long tones, and some practice ---I bet you see improvement within a month -- IMHO

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If you REALLY want to improve as a player. Get a teacher. No minternet advice will get you there. Altough there are many who just love to give advice. Whether it's good or harmful you may never know.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    but if we didn't give any advice -- then we would all be just lurking --- and, well, uhmm, it might seem pointless to lurk on a forum where there was nothing. I mean what would we do, if we never gave advice??? we could compare famous trumpet players -- but then we would still have different opinions and such. I think Mamboman should have never asked for advice -- perhaps that would keep all of us people from giving advice -- I think, perhaps, maybe, mmmmm ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    As a rule, the really boring stuff gives the most results. Take long tones, for example. Boring as can be, but played at a mf with the intent to fill the room, they can improve our sound, and help us find our own voice.

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    VB is absolutely correct. the old adage, K.I.S.S., or "Keep It Simple Stupid." When complicate things we regress, when we simplify things we progress.