Soundproofing materials?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Nov 24, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Rowuk,

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. If the construction doesn't have to use those ridiculously expensive foam panels, it can be made larger so the trumpet player doesn't go nuts inside. I'm not sure I'd do well in a tiny box, even with a window.

The way my cousin converted the barn, to make it more soundproof, was by using some special metal connectors in the construction so the inside walls weren't touching the outer walls of the barn. These are not expensive either. This sounds really promising.

Trickg,

You're a drummer, right? What's your take on which is the louder, more neighborhood annoying instrument .... a drum kit or a trumpet?

Turtle

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Been there, done that and got the T-shirt, just like you.

There are things that they make an effort to remove from a room - just because it has some ambient reverb in the room doesn't mean that it hasn't been treated to remove the bad sound reflections or added bass you get out of the corners if those aren't taken care of. A professional studio does go to the effort to remove outside noise, but that doesn't mean that it's an absolute and that sound from an external source can't be dealt with as long as it's controllable.

The Eurythmics recorded their "Sweet Dreams" album in an attic room of an old warehouse with the barest minimum gear in a place many people would barely deem to be suited for demo work. Again - off topic, but suffice it to say, when it comes to recording, there are best practices, and then there are the countless other methods people use to get their desired results.