Soundproofing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Eric-

I've lived in a lot of different apartments since moving out of the dorms in Boston in 2002. I know it sounds simplistic, but go talk to your neighbors. "The practice until someone yells at you" works, but I've found most people to be understanding about practicing in my apartment. Just ask them what time is too late/early, and let them know that if it ever gets too loud they should let you know and you'll be glad to keep it down or find another time to practice.

Jimi

2. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Thanks Jimi

I think I found some kind of a solution. It cut down of the reverberance of a laminate floored apartment. I got one of those memory foams that you can put on your bed. Well, it turns out that it works equally well nailed to my wall ;-)

[​IMG]

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Eric,

That reminded me of a guy I knew in Boston. This guy was nuts. He was a clarinetist who was scared to death of playing to loud and getting kicked out of his apartment (the places was a hole-in-the-wall, so it wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world). So he goes out to Urban Outfitters and buys 6 shag leather carpets and hangs them on the wall. The place smelled like a tannery for as long as he lived their, but he never got any grief from the neighbors!

-Jimi

4. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    haha, turns out when I finished writing the last post I went back and the foam was too heavy it fell right over the nails onto the floor.

Ah well, if they dont like it they'll say something

Eric

5. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
  6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Eric,

Maybe this is just fates way of telling you to start working on your soft playing.

-Jimi

7. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA

Quite possible

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Ah yes... egg crates (the 2-1/2 dozen "flats" work best) spray painted black, a couple of UV lamps and a mess of Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead and Jimi Hendrix dayglow posters...... Groovey, man!

Gosh, that takes me back to days "in rez".

9. green_eagle18

green_eagle18 Pianissimo User

Jun 25, 2006
    Denton, TX.
    I agree, theres no cheap way to improve the rooms acoustics. i think the egg cartons is probably the best idea.